Gap between acrylic tank and plywood

Shims between plywood & metal stand for thin gap?

• Yes. Shim the paper thin gap

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No. Leave As is

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I finally put in my place 360g acrylic tank. Its 3/4" thick. It sits on two smooth Furniture plywood And then Metal stand. Not planning on using foam boards. The stand and tank is leveled.

In the mid section, theres a paper thin gap as i can tightly fit a piece of paper. I know once filled with water, with the weight and bowing of the acrylic, the gaps may disappear.

question for ya is, should i shim the plywood and metal stand or leave it as is?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I finally put in my place 360g acrylic tank. Its 3/4" thick. It sits on two smooth Furniture plywood And then Metal stand. Not planning on using foam boards. The stand and tank is leveled.

In the mid section, theres a paper thin gap as i can tightly fit a piece of paper. I know once filled with water, with the weight and bowing of the acrylic, the gaps may disappear.

question for ya is, should i shim the plywood and metal stand or leave it as is?

Sounds like a nice tank. Does the manufacturer recommend something? I would start there.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to do anything. It's the beauty of a large Acrylic tank. Minor imperfections in your stand do not matter. Like, if it's 1/8" then maybe shim the edge where the most stress will be but paper thin gaps aren't something to worry about.

Foam is pointless. It compresses and provides zero structural support. If you want to support it, shim it, but it's not necessary for such a small gap.

OP
OP
A

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to do anything. It's the beauty of a large Acrylic tank. Minor imperfections in your stand do not matter. Like, if it's 1/8" then maybe shim the edge where the most stress will be but paper thin gaps aren't something to worry about.

Foam is pointless. It compresses and provides zero structural support. If you want to support it, shim it, but it's not necessary for such a small gap.

yeah thats what i said too about foam. I remember setting up my old 180g. While setting tank, my friend sat the corner of tank of it on foam and it dented the foam board.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 84 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.1%
Back