What to put between laminate and metal legs of a tank stand?

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered a stand for a new 65 gallon tank and the stand has an aluminum frame with six adjustable leveling feet that are quite small. My room has laminate floor that is a bit squeaky, so there is a chance that concrete isn't exactly even under the laminate.
I'm afraid that a laminate board might crack/split under pressure if there is an air pocket under one of the stand legs and thinking to add either plywood, or some type of plastic between the floor and the stand. Plywood is cheaper and readily available, but needs more work (painting/sealing from moisture). Plastic looks better (white one would match my furniture) and I wouldn't worry about water penetration.
Could anyone advice what I should use? And, if plastic, what type and thickness of plastic will be dense enough to withstand long-time pressure, but not too brittle to crack?

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you trying to level it? Because they make plastic shims you could use. Just tap them in with a hammer and then cut the excess off. Tons of options to match the stand color. Just google plastic shim.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to level it? Because they make plastic shims you could use. Just tap them in with a hammer and then cut the excess off. Tons of options to match the stand color. Just google plastic shim.
The floor is level. The problem is that there might be a small cavities under the laminate floor and, if such cavity exists right under one of the tank stand feet, the laminate might split. That is why I'm trying to add a piece of uniform board (either plywood, or plastic) to make the floor stronger.

Upvote 0

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The floor is level. The problem is that there might be a small cavities under the laminate floor and, if such cavity exists right under one of the tank stand feet, the laminate might split. That is why I'm trying to add a piece of uniform board (either plywood, or plastic) to make the floor stronger.

Well if you are putting a board on top of the flooring it isn't likely to solve much. It will likely just cause the split to be somewhere else. You need to figure out the laminate first if you are that worried about it.

That said if it is newer laminate I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stuff is insanely resilent.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Felt or rubber pads for legs and plates for floor support

1705118213846.png
1705118291330.png

Upvote 0

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your floor is sufficiently level, and the leveling feet come off you can accomplish what you’re trying to do by setting the stand directly on the floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are putting a board on top of the flooring it isn't likely to solve much. It will likely just cause the split to be somewhere else. You need to figure out the laminate first if you are that worried about it.

That said if it is newer laminate I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stuff is insanely resilent.
The laminate is new. It just is that a very small footprint of the stand legs that makes me worried. Would it be a good idea to add some aluminum squares (I'm thinking 0.25x4x4") to increase distribute the weight of the tank a bit more evenly?

Upvote 0

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The laminate is new. It just is that a very small footprint of the stand legs that makes me worried. Would it be a good idea to add some aluminum squares (I'm thinking 0.25x4x4") to increase distribute the weight of the tank a bit more evenly?

Honestly I wouldn’t do anything. But if you did I would do plastic in that rough dimension. Pretty much anything would work. But ABS or Polycarbonate would likely work very well.

Tapplastics.com

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back