Stand wobble on laminate flooring...what's normal

puffers252

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I just got a tank and stand from water box, the stand is their new aluminum framed design and seems very well built. However I can't get my paranoia to calm down about the movement from side to side. Front to back it's solid but some light pressure in the side to side direction on the tank will move the whole tank and stand together. Nothing huge but it does move enough to get the water to slosh a bit.

Normal or not?

It is on one of those floating laminate floors so I know there is some movement perhaps there as well. Just looking for others experience.

Thanks

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the top of a stand is flat. Its normal to have to shim the bottom.

OP
OP
P

puffers252

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Didn't have to shim it has adjustable legs in the stand and all is flat, just...wobbles a bit side to side and freaks me out a bit.

Floowid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think OP is talking about level, but about wobble/sway/wiggle. I had a 37 gallon on one of those impossibly skinny wrought iron stands you don't really see any more. That thing wobbled every time I touched it, but it never failed. Metal, especially soft metal like aluminum tends to wiggle a little bit. Bend but don't break as the saying goes. Up to you in the long run whether you decide to use it or not, but if it is the suggested stand for the tank built by the tank manufacturer, I think you should be good. If it helps you sleep at night you could anchor it to the wall.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I built an aluminum stand about 2-3x as beefy as water box for my 100g and I can still get it to wobble just the slightest. I have all kind of bracing, all corners and horizontal. I wouldn’t worry. 45mm profile at the thinnest. Top framing is 45x90mm
IMG_1743.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If the stand is moving side to side with minimal pushing effort, I would not let it stay that way. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
First I would go over all the connection points ( screws, bolts, brackets) on the entire stand and make sure they are completely tight. With the weight ( if connections aren't tight) on it I doubt you will be able to bring it tighten them up and bring it back to sturdy.
If everything looks perfect, then I would figure out a way to add as big a piece a plywood across the back as possible.
Maybe multiple spans of aluminum angle bar.
A tank on a stand is usually very top and any movement side to side is just not right.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately make sure all the fasteners are tight. Is the tank full yet? Weight can help stabilize it somewhat. How much wobble we're talking about? All of my tanks are on floating floors and will move when I'm cleaning glass. Even my 180 will move when the dogs run past.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it wobble because it loses contact with the laminate floor or does it wobble while maintains full contact?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back