Gap between tank and stand

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a prostar 200 and there is a gap between the top of the stand and bottom of the tank in certain areas. The gap is big enough to allow a piece of paper in between. The tank is not a true rimless aquarium as there is a bottom rim to the tank. I filled the tank up and leveled it on all four sides and it’s dead center. Some people have told me to put a leveling mat under the tank but I don’t see how this would make a difference since if the gap is causing a pressure point the mat wouldn’t offer any support. Any help would be appreciated.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a prostar 200 and there is a gap between the top of the stand and bottom of the tank in certain areas. The gap is big enough to allow a piece of paper in between. The tank is not a true rimless aquarium as there is a bottom rim to the tank. I filled the tank up and leveled it on all four sides and it’s dead center. Some people have told me to put a leveling mat under the tank but I don’t see how this would make a difference since if the gap is causing a pressure point the mat wouldn’t offer any support. Any help would be appreciated.

As long as it is supported on each corner equally (coplanar) you will be okay.

Twisted1990s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add shims under the middle to support It? May not be cosmetically appeasing but better than the alternative.

OP
OP
Master of Cloak

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to level both sides first but there is still a gap between one of the corners. I emailed proclear because at this point I’m thinking something is wrong with the stand or bottom rim of the tank.

07B8AFA2-CE78-42A2-B3B4-C789FCB3DD2A.jpeg

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly the tank or the stand isn't level. You could take a level to both and find the culprit. Still, a foam will solve your problem here. The mat will compress and help distribute the weight. If the gap was larger than 1/16 of an inch (rough guess) than I would advise against that.

The real reason, in my opinion, to not leave it as is is because water is going to get under your tank and sit on the surface of the stand. The finish (stain or paint) will eventually wear and it could mold/rot.

Again, not a huge deal. My guess is the stand isn't perfect.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
level and foam,even rubber drawer pads, happy reefing

OP
OP
Master of Cloak

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to proclear the gap isn't that big of a deal. They said to leave it as is since it's not shifting regardless of what I do. I am thinking of going the leveling mat route but instead of getting the full mat, I think I'm gonna get strips and place them on the perimeter of where the frame touches the stand.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back