Would they worry you?

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so we moved about 3 weeks ago. I packed all my aquariums up and am finally getting around to setting them back up!

When tank was previously set up I didn’t notice these this much. There are some gaps in the silicon on the bottom and sides of the tank. Is this something to be worried about and is it better to just maybe get another new 20g tank instead?

It is a 20G Nuvo aquarium on a custom stand that is very well built and level. I do notice no gap goes all the way through to the outside but I don’t know how water pressure or animals will do to it.

IMG_8815.jpeg
IMG_8816.jpeg
IMG_8818.jpeg

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ideal for sure, but being that it’s only a 20 gallon I wouldn’t be too terribly concerned.

It could definitely fail, don’t get me wrong.

But, I would say that it’s a no go for a 200gallon. But on a 20 the force being exerted by the water is not as great. So it probably wont blow the whole seem and explode into the room.

If you want to run this tank long term, the right thing to do would be to remove and redo the silicone.

If you only plan to leave it up short term it’s probably alright, though the risk factor is increased of leakage. And you’d want to avoid scraping the glass in those areas.

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a bit more caution when scraping the glass. looks like its from a scraper. Ive seen worse though. you should be ok

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LandLockedJones

This tank will probably be a 2-3 year tank before we upgrade to a 120G. I will have sand in the tank too and that will cover all the spots besides the one on the side seam. What would you consider short term?

@BuckChoklit
I agree with you! While I usually don’t use the scraper near seams maybe at some point I did idk tank did get neglected for a few months before the move sadly.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the flash and not the silicone between the panels you should be good. Can't really tell from the pics. This is one of the seams on my 180g that has been like this for years but it's just the excess silicone from the seal between the glass. other seams are similar
PXL_20240409_202932234.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back