Garage cooling/insulation?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2017
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,566
Location
Houston, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really hoping to use my garage to house a bunch of tanks for various projects/experiments. However, I know the heat will be an issue. Mid summer, it reaches 85/86 in there.
Does anyone have any experience with garage door insulation? Im curious how much that would drop the ambient temps.
I know I could get a portable ac unit, but I'd rather cool passively for obviou$ reasons.
 
Last edited:
Depends on the insulation of the garage, insulated garage door will help too. Might be a good idea to run a portable a.c. unit in the summer months.
 
Last edited:
We installed a thermostatically controlled attic fan, ran the lights on a reverse cycle, had fans controlled by Apex controllers blowing on the tanks and still had problems with heat not to mention humidity.
 
No, I only keep my RODI in the garage. It's better to buy a garage door that's already insulated, preferably 2" thick. Normally has a better "R" value. Clopay has the best doors IMO. That only goes so far if the windows arent great or there isn't sufficient insulation in the attic, ect. It might be more cost efficient to run a chiller on the tanks though.
 
Ok thanks. I was trying to avoid chillers as well. I only need 5 degrees, not sure if that can be expected from garage door insulation alone.

Might have to get a portable a.c.
 
I honestly don't think you'll get 5 degrees if you insulate your door. Plus you need to factor in the cost of new springs. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of weight but it will throw off the balance of the door enough to cause other issues. I think it would be best to get a portable a.c. unit to fit your needs honestly. The a.c. unit will help with humidity as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new