"garbage corals" in a hybrid fowler tank

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the experts. I have a 110 reef that I am getting ready to move over to a new 180. My plan is to move all the rocks that don't have nuisance corals on them. I plan to leave the rocks that have pulsing xenia, GSP, and green palys on them. I don't want them in my new tank. I plan to leave a pair of good sized clowns, and then add a porcupine puffer, and a dwarf lion to the tank. I may see about a clown trigger in the future. The clownfish, I may need to do some research on to see if they will get along with the clown trigger, and they are big enough not to fit in a dwarf lions mouth, so they should be ok.
My question is should the "garbage" coral do OK in the nutrient high hybrid FLOWLER ? My theory is they would grow in a toilet, so they should be OK.
Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with my classification of these corals, but I wish they never went in the tank. The GSP I will give a pass too, the clowns like it, and I have it controlled on it's own rock, but the xenia and palys just multiply and spread.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As long as they adjust to it and nutrients rise with time it should be fine. I added anthelia, and Cespitularia to a FOWLR but huge change in nitrate and they melted. But the HSP is growing awesome. Have to nutrients down now so will probably add some more. My target in the Fowler is nitrates 30-40

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, softies thrive in dirty water. I never tested phosphate in my last fowlr tank and nitrate was the only real gauge I used for water changes. I break 50 ppm back then, I did a water change. Usually was 30 gallons in a 150g tank. I had much of what you are suggesting op and they all did fine in a fowlr (no one would eat them).

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenia can just melt for no reason with little explanation. The others, I agree would handle pretty ridiculous nutrients.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discomas mushrooms would be a good candidate. I had some in a fowlr I ran with low wattage and well water. They were spreading for a while.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back