Gate valves

Duff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s everyone buying there gate valves from? Brs seems to be on the expensive side. Is there a good reason to purchase it if there or should I just buy them on Amazon for a 1/3 of the price

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats nice about the spears valves that BRS sells, they can be taken apart to be cleaned. Unlike your typical hardware store or big box store valves.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. Just hard to justify spending $180 on 3 of them when I can pick them up for $60

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you 100%, but....

Depending on application.

On my tank where they are going to need to be cleaned, I spent the extra. On my mixing station where I could care less, and I don't need to disassemble them for cleaning, I cheaped out.

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s everyone buying there gate valves from? Brs seems to be on the expensive side. Is there a good reason to purchase it if there or should I just buy them on Amazon for a 1/3 of the price
I've used the ones from Amazon with no problems (approx $17.00 each). I purchased 6, used 2 on my drains, 3 on the manifold and one spare. I've had no issues with them, they work smoothly.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the ones from Amazon with no problems (approx $17.00 each). I purchased 6, used 2 on my drains, 3 on the manifold and one spare. I've had no issues with them, they work smoothly.
How long have you been running them?

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to purchasing these I researched them on Youtube. I did find a few videos of people who had plumbed aquariums using them. The videos weren't specific to the valves but several videos indicated that their tanks had been up and running for over a year....so I suspect that the valves are just fine.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought a normal one from Home Depot *Shrug*

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really happy with my King’s gate valves. I’m 90% I got them off amazon. They are not rebuildable but they also don’t leak, unlike the spears rebuildable ones I have which developed a slow drip around the adjustment handle.

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have been struggling with those $15 valves is that I am unable to turn the valve after not using them for long time, and unable to determine if I have closed or opened it fully because there is no stopping point. You open or close it fully just by the feel.
I have seen a few of them with cracked body or the internal thread all damaged. Just today I closed a valve and now I cannot even open it back out again. Did I close it or open it fully? I don't even remember. It just got stuck. Sigh.
BTW, these $15 can be taken apart for cleaning (when valve is not stuck.)

Spears are super expensive and I am not sure they are actually better.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure there are no internal metal parts.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just bought a spears gate valve yesterday. BRS has the best price for a Spears.(hard to believe)

I considered the cheaper valves but if something inside fails you can get parts like o-rings and such and just fix the valve in place. With some other valves if they fail inside your going to be cutting up your plumbing to fix.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a good quality gate valve will last 30 years, I see no particularly compelling reason to buy a cheap one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back