Gathering / documenting information / studies on black bugs

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Worst experience I’ve had in my 13/14 years of reef keeping. This has gone on for almost a full year. I recently set up a Red Sea reefer xl system and I am taking this old system down and retiring all of the equipment + tank. I will never risk getting these black bugs again, also not selling any of the equipment due to the simple fact that I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. Way to many corals lost/ money lost/ time and effort lost/ not enough information out yet on the direct strains of black bugs. Hopefully we could all get to the bottom of the issue in the near future and develop a product or method for exterminating these black bug colonies within our systems. Could they hitchhike by way of fish? If fish eat black bug eggs can they still hatch once the fish passes them? Are their any fish that will feed on them (mandarin gobies? / 6 lines ( or another type of wrasse)? Does anyone have any microscopic images of the eggs that they lay? Any information on the stages throughout their life’s ( are they waterborn larva when hatched?) (are they born fully developed like a pod similar to their adult appearance?) hopefully we can get answers to some of these questions so we could all have a better understanding of what to look for / be aware of when it comes to dealing with black bugs. Dr.gs did not work for me along with any other dip including bayer. I have an experimental 15 gallon aio lifeguard system running with only a few remaining corals and live rock from the system with the black bugs. The tank has had 2 1/2 bottles of dr.gs coral dip in the water for around a month or so. No decrease in population, still having corals being attacked, still reproduction happening with the black bug colony. Reefs.com states that their are for sure multiple different types of black bugs and my guess is that some are much worse than others so it would be nice if we could find out how to tell exactly what kinds we are dealing with in the hobby. Do these come from the wild and if so why are they not as devastating towards wild reefs like they are captive reefs? Have they evolved into a stronger form from living in captivity with unnatural amounts of nutrients, fleshy corals from all over the world in one small spot, amino acids, supplements, stable parameters, tempatures, synthetic salts? Just some questions I ask myself after experiencing these pests. Lmk if you have any experiences with these bugs and if you were able to beat them or not!?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back