Gator's 75G build

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a member here since Nov. 2013, but made my first post end of 2015. So I figured it was time to post my build and my progressions. I bought my first house April of 2015, knowing full well I was going to be putting a tank somewhere. So I bought the house, rescued another boxer (Gator), since my 10 year old female (Shelby) needed a friend. Then decided exactly where I wanted the first tank.
I don't drink that much wine for it to be taking up valuable space, so this seemed like the perfect spot. Started it October 2015. (A lot of pictures)

Start.jpg

Time to get it cleared out, took awhile, b/c I thought I needed help. But decided to do it on my own.

Start1.jpg

I went out and bought a new Deep Blue reef ready tank and a 3rd Gen Eshopps R-100 Refugium. Time to put the tank in it final place (With dad's help)

start2.jpg

start3.jpg

Ended up getting the ReefKeeper with 2 power modules and the SLX Module.
reefkeeper.jpg

Bought 90 pounds of Marco Dry Rocks and 2 LED Chinese Black boxes
marco rock.jpg

chinese lights.jpg

Time to fill with water and sand.
sand.jpg

started.jpg
started1.jpg

The journey really starts with the cycling with a piece of a raw shrimp and a bottle of Bacteria.
clear1.jpg

I let it cycle for 3 months until ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates were at 0. Added my CUC and a Rainbow Bubble tip anemone with a pair of ORA Snowflake Clowns (Zues and Athena).
Rainbow bubble tip.jpg

Then added a female Lyretail Anthias, a small Desjardini sailfin Tang (Fat Fred - girlfriend named him that) and a small cleaner shrimp.
tang.jpg

Clowns.jpg

shrimp.jpg

Decided to go ahead and add a JBJ ATO, a food grade 5G bucket and a BRS Dual GFO and carbon reactor. Then what the heck, sold the chinese lights and bought 2 AI Hydra 52 HD's
newlights.jpg

Knew I wanted to do mostly SPS, so ended up getting an MP10 and saving for an MP40. Along with a torch, hammer , a acan, a favia, Ducan, JF Jack-o-lantern Lepto and a rock flower anemone.
mp10.jpg

lepto.jpg
acan.jpg
torch.jpg

It was time to try out some acros and monti's.
WWC Grizzly Adams
WWC Ding Dang Milli

grizzlyadams.jpg
purple.jpg
milli.jpg

Next pictures are from March. A lot was added
left side.jpg
right side.jpg

Starfish got caught in a candid Camera shot.
starfish.jpg

I added an MP40, started on the Aquaforest system with the Probiotic salt and starting mixing kaulk in my ATO container. The most up to date pictures are below.
20160502_202827.jpg
20160502_202856.jpg
20160502_202906.jpg
20160501_141334.jpg

Hope y'all have enjoyed this tank build. I will be keeping the pictures updated as the tank matures and grows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G8trBait16

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish List:
2 ORA SnowFlake Clowns (Zues and Athena)
1 female Lyretail Anthias
1 Desjardini sailfin Tang (Fat Fred)
1 Leopard Wrasse
1 Hoevans Wrasse

Last edited:

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread and the perfect place to put your tank.:)

OP
OP
G8trBait16

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had order a new Trigger systems Sapphire series 34 and an Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump last week. Yesterday my old eBay special return pump failed, but just in time to get my new stuff delivered yesterday. Christmas came early.

I had to clean out the space in my cabinet for the new sump.

Clean.jpg

Then the new sump and pump arrived, I was so excited!

box.jpg

new.jpg

Then I realized that the sump wouldn't fit in between my door pillars. So even as nerve racking as it was I had to take off on of the pillars. Had my level out just in case.

installed.jpg

Then had to screw the pillar back into place.

pillar in.jpg

I was able to put the new pump in and start doing a temporary plumbing job. Since the fish and corals had been without any return water for over 24 hours. I can do a permanent plumbing job later, with some orange pvc pipes.

pump.jpg

almost done.jpg

Excuse the none cleaned up wires, but my girlfriend and I were getting tired. I will finish it up when I get off of work today. The sump is running and working great. The sump and pump as so quiet, so much better than the last combo. I do have to get something to prop up my protein skimmer so it will start skimming right again. But overall it was a success and I was able to teach my girlfriend more about the hobby/grunt work and did an amazing job. Just have to put the doors back on the cabinet.

finished.jpg

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice on plumbing the Vectra M1 and the new sump, y'all helped out a lot!

OP
OP
G8trBait16

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updated pictures from 8/10/16. The first picture is just from my Galaxy S6, but the second one is taken with the S6, but through my polarized sunglasses lens. Interesting differences.

8-10-16.jpg

8-10-16 polarized.jpg

OP
OP
G8trBait16

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just hung my new ATI Dimmable 48" 8x54w of the tank. I absolutely love it. Not at much "pop" as the LED's, but for the 2 weeks the Ati has been sitting on 2 - 2x4's on each side of the tank to see how the coral would react before I hung the light. There has definitely been a huge difference in the growth in 2 weeks alone. Before and after is below.
full tank.jpg

Full Tank1.jpg

OP
OP
G8trBait16

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few newer pictures, will take more tonight. The frags on the rack I received from battle corals on Tuesday 10/25.

Orange Passion, BC Efflo 2.0, C-quarium unknown, Garf Bonsai, PC Rainbow, Pink Lemonade, Pink tip Prickle, and a Yellow tort.
Battle Corals.jpg

Family room wall shot with the tank
Full tank2.jpg

Latest picture I have, was taken 10-11-16.
10-11-16.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back