Gem tang and Blue hippo tang?

saltwaterscrub02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m purchasing a gem tang(2-3 inches) for my 100 gal tank. was looking to pair it with a similar size hippo Tang Or a juv yellow belly blue tang (1 inch) would they be ok to put them in the same tank? they’d be the first 2 fish to be introduced to the tank as well.

Last edited:

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, you may see a lot more aggression between them in a 100g when they get bigger. I had to separate out my purple tang from my hippo when they both got larger. But YMMV as some people have success. If I had to choose again starting off, I would just not do it just to save myself the headache later. My hippo turned out to be a huge bully when it got larger

OP
OP
S

saltwaterscrub02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, you may see a lot more aggression between them in a 100g when they get bigger. I had to separate out my purple tang from my hippo when they both got larger. But YMMV as some people have success. If I had to choose again starting off, I would just not do it just to save myself the headache later. My hippo turned out to be a huge bully when it got larger
Yes that’s my fear was hoping if introduced small they might workout , but think I might save myself the headache as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be okay for a while. And then, eventually, they may not tolerate each other. The hippo (standard or yellow belly version of the same species) will likely outgrow that tank. Sometimes the hippos get huge (10"), but not always. Sometimes they don't get over the 6-8" length.

What other fishes do you plan on adding? Adding tangs first generally isn't the best idea. I haven't kept a gem, but I have kept most of the other close cousins in the Zebrasoma genus. They can get really mean in tight quarters.

36 x 36 x 16, getting them small and kick that can down the road
I'm getting 90 gallons there.

OP
OP
S

saltwaterscrub02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be okay for a while. And then, eventually, they may not tolerate each other. The hippo (standard or yellow belly version of the same species) will likely outgrow that tank. Sometimes the hippos get huge (10"), but not always. Sometimes they don't get over the 6-8" length.

What other fishes do you plan on adding? Adding tangs first generally isn't the best idea. I haven't kept a gem, but I have kept most of the other close cousins in the Zebrasoma genus. They can get really mean in tight quarters.

I'm getting 90 gallons there.
Transfering a pair of clowns and angelfish from my smaller tank(eventually) , I enjoy keeping corals so for fish might be 6 total max sometime down the line, I’ve just always wanted a tang, so think going with just the gem tang. Appreciate the advice on the hippos

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back