GEM tang freakin out

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gem tang keeps going back and forth in the back of the tank, sometimes darting and flashing and attacking the glass. It looks like he’s fighting his reflection. All the other fish including several tangs in my 625g just kind of look at him like he’s nuts. Has anyone had a fish do this for a long period of time. Seems to happen worse when the lights are on as this is when the reflection can be seen more vividly. Any suggestions as I’m afraid he’s going to die from exhaustion and self inflicted stress! Thx

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new addition? I would leave the lights off for a couple of days.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not a new addition. Ive tried leaving lights off for 3 days. Ill try again. Thx.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So shut lights off for 2 days and Gem was normal as he picked on rocks with everyone else. Put lights on today and within 1 hour he was attacking his reflection sweeping into the glass. He goes at it and is just ticked as the other fish look on and go about normality. In all my years in the hobby this has never happened unless i wanted it to by placing a mirror when Introducing new fish. Anyone else ever encounter this with a fish? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So shut lights off for 2 days and Gem was normal as he picked on rocks with everyone else. Put lights on today and within 1 hour he was attacking his reflection sweeping into the glass. He goes at it and is just ticked as the other fish look on and go about normality. In all my years in the hobby this has never happened unless i wanted it to by placing a mirror when Introducing new fish. Anyone else ever encounter this with a fish? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Sounds like it has some personal issues to deal with!

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT does that when the main lights go off and the actinics come on. It can see it’s reflection then and ”kisses” the glass in mad passion.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem is still darting around in quick spurts....he backs up then darts. Keep in mind that over the last several months the tank has been treated twice w/Copper Pow at 1.75 then 2.00 ppm, hyposalinity for a separate 30 days...ugh

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely him chasing his reflection as now that I’ve observed for several days, he doesn’t do it during the day and only when the lights are on in the tank and off in the room. The reflection then drives him units... When I get back to FL in 2 weeks will play with different light settings in the roiom and tank to get rid of reflection at night. Thx

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back