Gem Tang Showoff Thread

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see all of your gem tangs!

I'm slightly obsessed with these fish currently and will be getting one soon (it's currently being quarantined).

If you could, please post a pic and let me know the following, that would be awesome! If you don't want to provide info, please just post a pic. :)
  1. Size of tank
  2. Current size of gem tang
  3. List all other tangs you have in your tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1600218503362.png
1600218520469.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How long have you had your gem? Sooooo cute! How many other tangs do you have in your tank and which ones? (That copperband is beautiful, too!)
14 tangs and gem- about 8 months

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my gem for about 2 - 2 1/2 years. It’s about 4 1/2” and in a 450. 12 other tangs, including three zebrasomas. Neither the yellow nor the desjardini sailfin were a problem but the purple was. Came close to killing the gem before being removed for a month. Since reintroduction the gem and purple have tolerated each other. Occasional ripped fin, but that’s about it. Other tangs include Fowler’s, zebra, chevron, Hepatus, four different Naso. Some gems have a yellow tail, others a white one. I think it’s based on where they’re collected.

0B003D54-B32C-49C1-B67E-CF6E12B95179.png

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OH Man you guys have some nice tanks and fish!

All of your tangs are amazing,

So talk us off the edge...or push us in!

We just upgraded to a WB 220, 6ft tank and of course we want a gem.

So knowing I'm on the small end for such a tang this would be a bad idea right?

We only plan on adding 1 or 2 more fish and this has always been on the list if we ever got a large enough tank.

Stocking list so far and this is one of my main concerns is the 2 zebrasomas we already have.

Purple tang
Yellow tang
Kole tang
3 clowns
Pair of manderins
Pink spot goby
Clown goby
Blue chromis
Pair of harlequin shrimp
CUC

We have a lot of spaces and caves for all of the fish and designed it for sleeping areas in mind.

We don't want to re-home so if it really is just out of the question we get it lol

Thanks in advance guys!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH Man you guys have some nice tanks and fish!

All of your tangs are amazing,

So talk us off the edge...or push us in!

We just upgraded to a WB 220, 6ft tank and of course we want a gem.

So knowing I'm on the small end for such a tang this would be a bad idea right?

We only plan on adding 1 or 2 more fish and this has always been on the list if we ever got a large enough tank.

Stocking list so far and this is one of my main concerns is the 2 zebrasomas we already have.

Purple tang
Yellow tang
Kole tang
3 clowns
Pair of manderins
Pink spot goby
Clown goby
Blue chromis
Pair of harlequin shrimp
CUC

We have a lot of spaces and caves for all of the fish and designed it for sleeping areas in mind.

We don't want to re-home so if it really is just out of the question we get it lol

Thanks in advance guys!
Harlequin shrimp may be difficult to feed in such a large tank. Because of their specialized diet they need to be target fed to ensure they’re getting enough food. I wouldn’t want a rogue chocolate chip star in my reef eating all my corals...

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Harlequin shrimp may be difficult to feed in such a large tank. Because of their specialized diet they need to be target fed to ensure they’re getting enough food. I wouldn’t want a rogue chocolate chip star in my reef eating all my corals...
We hand feed them a chocolate star each week....the male holds onto it until the female wants it.

They really are a sweet animal.

You are absolutely right we don't want a rouge star!!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hand feed them a chocolate star each week....the male holds onto it until the female wants it.

They really are a sweet animal.

You are absolutely right we don't want a rouge star!!
They are! I’d love one (or many....) but I’m scared that I won’t be able to find them often enough in a tank that large in order to feed them. I’ve got 10 sexy shrimp in a 200 gallon and I can find 2-3 every week or so... I know they’re all in there though.

I have never attempted harlequins because my lifestyle isn’t really compatible with their diet so I don’t really know if they establish a territory like clowns and don’t really stray from it, but I feel like at least the first few weeks while they settle in would make it difficult to feed them since they’ll be trying to establish a ‘home base’. IMO, they are best in a small tank where they can be easily located and fed.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are! I’d love one (or many....) but I’m scared that I won’t be able to find them often enough in a tank that large in order to feed them. I’ve got 10 sexy shrimp in a 200 gallon and I can find 2-3 every week or so... I know they’re all in there though.

I have never attempted harlequins because my lifestyle isn’t really compatible with their diet so I don’t really know if they establish a territory like clowns and don’t really stray from it, but I feel like at least the first few weeks while they settle in would make it difficult to feed them since they’ll be trying to establish a ‘home base’. IMO, they are best in a small tank where they can be easily located and fed.
Absolutely agree...we have had ours for about a year now and started in our 32 gallon. The female hatches every 20 days or so, free fish food hahah

When we combined the 32g and 75g into the 220 we added the rock from both tanks and the harlequins were moved with their rock arch home and never skipped a beat.

We probably got lucky ;)

They will also eat frozen chopped up starfish and will eat sandsifters as well.

Definitely difficult in a large tank if you can't keep a good eye on them and if they haven't claimed a spot yet.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well GEM is about 5 inches now and thriving. He does chase his reflection at times. He’s part of the “3 amigos” along with yellow and purple tangs. The 3 amigos are accompanied by “blondie” and hippo. They will be joined by last addition
5C7E4DD8-2762-4BA0-8043-2D3388345333.png
Achillies in about a month. The 8’ long 625g FOWLR seems to suit them well

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never stop eating as soon as the starfish is gone they are ready for another

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back