Gem tang stung by foxface or possible disease?

Tztop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a 265g tank and had started to stock it with fish. Two of the fish i got were a foxface and a gem tang. I got both of them from the same tank at the same store and had added them to my tank about 24 hours ago. Today, i noticed my gem tang starting to flash against the sand and rock and i immediately got concerned that one of the other fish i had gotten from a different source and had added at the same time had ich and i needed to start copper (which i planned to do anyways once all fish were eating as these were the first fish in a fowlr tank.) But then i noticed it was only scratching one side and then noticed as single white dot under the tang's fin (which is hard to see on a fish with white dots). My tang wasn't acting this way last night or earlier today. Is it possible that my tang ran into my foxface and got stung or is this a sign of a disease i need to tackle?
Another note, i keep watching my gem tang swim up to my coris wrasse and it looks like they're asking them to clean them.
Here's a picture:
20210814_192335.jpg

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang tries to bully my one spot fox face and always gets in the top fins of the fox face. The kole hasn't flashed at all. Could be a sign of disease.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tang flashing the rockwork or sand doesn’t always mean parasite, it can be setting territory boundaries.
You have only one dot, with no other symptoms, I’d do nothing but be prepared to take action if other behaviors surface.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a 265g tank and had started to stock it with fish. Two of the fish i got were a foxface and a gem tang. I got both of them from the same tank at the same store and had added them to my tank about 24 hours ago. Today, i noticed my gem tang starting to flash against the sand and rock and i immediately got concerned that one of the other fish i had gotten from a different source and had added at the same time had ich and i needed to start copper (which i planned to do anyways once all fish were eating as these were the first fish in a fowlr tank.) But then i noticed it was only scratching one side and then noticed as single white dot under the tang's fin (which is hard to see on a fish with white dots). My tang wasn't acting this way last night or earlier today. Is it possible that my tang ran into my foxface and got stung or is this a sign of a disease i need to tackle?
Another note, i keep watching my gem tang swim up to my coris wrasse and it looks like they're asking them to clean them.
Here's a picture:
20210814_192335.jpg
Can you try for a clearer shot? I'm seeing some miscellaneous spots in this picture that I can't tell are there or not. The spot on the eye, the few spots behind the eye, a diffuse white spot at the back of the dorsal fin....

Fish that pose for cleaners often have a "itch" that needs scratching. That, combined with flashing makes me think external parasites. The spot behind its pectoral fin is too large to be ich though.

Copper is going to be tough to use in a tank with rock like that. Have you considered hyposalinity? That will help with ich, as well as some flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
Tztop

Tztop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an update. I tried taking more pictures, but was struggling to get any decent pictures that didn't have either spots from the glass or from the water in front of the tang. As for the spot I originally posted about, it's healed and disappeared. But I got concerned about the spots Jay was talking about, so I kept doing close inspections and ended up seeing a couple spots that weren't the tang's coloration. So I started treating the full tank with cupramine since, from my research, it is less harsh on the nitrifying bacteria compared to copper safe or copper power. I think Jay may be right in that it is ick, so I wanted to treat the whole tank as some of the other fish might have it without having visible signs. I'll contimue to monitor them and if it seems like it's not improving fast enough in a week, I'll start doing freshwater dips and formalin baths.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an update. I tried taking more pictures, but was struggling to get any decent pictures that didn't have either spots from the glass or from the water in front of the tang. As for the spot I originally posted about, it's healed and disappeared. But I got concerned about the spots Jay was talking about, so I kept doing close inspections and ended up seeing a couple spots that weren't the tang's coloration. So I started treating the full tank with cupramine since, from my research, it is less harsh on the nitrifying bacteria compared to copper safe or copper power. I think Jay may be right in that it is ick, so I wanted to treat the whole tank as some of the other fish might have it without having visible signs. I'll contimue to monitor them and if it seems like it's not improving fast enough in a week, I'll start doing freshwater dips and formalin baths.
If you had the room you should’ve set up a separate QT tank and dosed copper into there if that’s the route you are going to take. It’s going to be really hard maintaining proper copper levels in your 265G between the rock and sand absorbing it and you must maintain the proper level of copper, if it drops below therapeutic, the clock restarts.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're dosing Cupramine to the tank with all the live rock in there?

How do you plan to test and maintain the correct therapeutic levels?

Did you miss where Jay said "Copper is going to be tough to use in a tank with rock like that. Have you considered hyposalinity? That will help with ich, as well as some flukes."

OP
OP
Tztop

Tztop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have room for a large QT system to take all the fish out and treat them. So my plan was to use the DT as the QT tank for the first batch of fish and then use the smaller tank I have for future additions.
As for hyposalinity vs copper. I chose the copper route as I read on humblefish's website that there are hyposalinity-resistant strains of ich and that it can be difficult to maintain a salinity at 1.009. I also found this post that explains that hyposalinity isn't a guarantee for ich eradication and that there are resistant strands. So I figured copper would be the better option despite the rock and sand that I have and I would test it daily to maintain a therapeutic level. However, if someone like Jay or humblefish recommends hyposalinity over copper still, then I'll switch my strategy as I trust their judgement and experience.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would this cause issues in the future with the rocks holding the copper?

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this cause issues in the future with the rocks holding the copper?
He will most likely never be able to keep coral alive in that tank, and it’s just very difficult to keep copper levels stable when you have rock and sand to absorb it

OP
OP
Tztop

Tztop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tztop How is it going? Any update, hopefully positive and your situation is getting under control!
My tang is doing great! It's being a giant piggy and i think is the current boss of the tank. I've seen it have a few squabbles with the foxface, but nothing major. Thanks for asking!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back