Gem tang swimming in front of power head

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Copper power works just as fine if copper safe isn’t available . I drop fish in 2.5ppm no issues

I agree with Jay , a purple zebrasoma with another , all bad

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa - that fish has a massive infection. Its skin is discolored and it is breathing hard.

It could be a secondary bacterial infection (if the fish had flukes and the prazi knocked them off, then the open skin wounds could have become infected). I agree, the purple tang could have trounced it, but you should have seen that aggression happening.

It more likely is a protozoan disease. Can you post a clear video close up of the purple tang? If it has any similar symptoms, you'll need to start a Coppersafe treatment at 2.5 ppm ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa - that fish has a massive infection. Its skin is discolored and it is breathing hard.

It could be a secondary bacterial infection (if the fish had flukes and the prazi knocked them off, then the open skin wounds could have become infected). I agree, the purple tang could have trounced it, but you should have seen that aggression happening.

It more likely is a protozoan disease. Can you post a clear video close up of the purple tang? If it has any similar symptoms, you'll need to start a Coppersafe treatment at 2.5 ppm ASAP.

Jay
I have copper power. Is that ok?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It’s good to see your a responsible hobbyist running copper

Give an update how the tang does! Good luck bro

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the gem tang in a 10 gal. Tank running copper power 2.33ppm. hopefully he'll get better

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the gem tang in a 10 gal. Tank running copper power 2.33ppm. hopefully he'll get better

Be sure to monitor the ammonia closely, fingers crossed!

jay

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here another close up of the gem tang in the 10 gal qt. Look like some sores from his battell with the purple tang are visible. Any idea on healing process? Now he is still in 2.33ppm of copper power.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here another close up of the gem tang in the 10 gal qt. Look like some sores from his battell with the purple tang are visible. Any idea on healing process? Now he is still in 2.33ppm of copper power.

I’m worried about secondary bacterial infection. Trouble is, if you add an antibiotic to a new small tank like this, it may kill your beneficial bacteria, causing an ammonia spike.
Still - you could try Kanaplex in this case, just watch the ammonia. I normally recommend Neoplex, but that can mess with the good bacteria.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about secondary bacterial infection. Trouble is, if you add an antibiotic to a new small tank like this, it may kill your beneficial bacteria, causing an ammonia spike.
Still - you could try Kanaplex in this case, just watch the ammonia. I normally recommend Neoplex, but that can mess with the good bacteria.

Jay
i did put a dose of kanaplex with copper power. Will i still and issue with ammonia spikes? the water in the tank is from my display tank and i know that its cycled. Will any of the meds i'm using (kanaplex and copper power). Cause any ammonia spike?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did put a dose of kanaplex with copper power. Will i still and issue with ammonia spikes? the water in the tank is from my display tank and i know that its cycled. Will any of the meds i'm using (kanaplex and copper power). Cause any ammonia spike?

Copper Power won't cause an ammonia spike directly, but antibiotics like Kanaplex might. The bigger issue is since your quarantine tank is new, if you didn't add bacteria, it won't be cycled, and that will cause ammonia to rise.

jay

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power won't cause an ammonia spike directly, but antibiotics like Kanaplex might. The bigger issue is since your quarantine tank is new, if you didn't add bacteria, it won't be cycled, and that will cause ammonia to rise.

jay
maybe should put some Live Nitrifying Bacteria like turbo start?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe should put some Live Nitrifying Bacteria like turbo start?
Yes, Dr Tims and Fritzyme 9 are two good ones to try. I’ve not used turbo start, but anything with live bacteria will help.
Jay

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You may want to check copper every now and then to make sure it doesn't drop. I frequently have to dose a little bit to keep it at 2.4 ppm where i like it.

Are you doing 14 day then transfer to sterilized tank

Or the 30 day full treatment

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to check copper every now and then to make sure it doesn't drop. I frequently have to dose a little bit to keep it at 2.4 ppm where i like it.

Are you doing 14 day then transfer to sterilized tank

Or the 30 day full treatment
I gonna do the 30 day treatment. Hopefully he starts to look better. He's not eating like I would like him to.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i dont think the gem tang is gonna make it pass today. Thanks guy for all your help.
I figured. Fish already in bad shape then put in copper which is technically a poison.

Sorry to hear this. I’d hate to say this because in this hobby we use the fish with learning curves but maybe next time you won’t put fish with that type of behavior with each other

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured. Fish already in bad shape then put in copper which is technically a poison.

Sorry to hear this. I’d hate to say this because in this hobby we use the fish with learning curves but maybe next time you won’t put fish with that type of behavior with each other
lesson learned here. I figure that if i put them in at the same time. They wont fight as much. Next time i will separate these tangs from here on out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back