Purple Tang swimming head up

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

Can anybody help me figure out what’s wrong with my purple tang? It’s been as social and hungry as always. It just swims with its head up at about 60 degrees. Itms been doing so for at least a week or two. I’ve seen it turn nose down to dive or pick at something. The faster it swims the more it levels out, but it usually cruises around head up. It occasionally likes to swim/play in the power head. - I don’t see anything on the fish. It does have a brown spot above each eye, but they’ve been there as long as I can remember - I’ve had it about a year.

Photo and vid for reference.

Thanks!

Queso

IMG_6744.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6726.mov
    11 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems like a swim bladder issue - which can be due to infection, internal injury or other internal disease. Many people watch it - some treat in a separate tank -with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Some fish get this if there are chemical abnormalities in the water - are your parameters ok? Salinity? How long have you had the fish - any other symptoms?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that is an under inflated swim bladder. If it has been like this for more than a short period, it is likely permanent. Fish can live like this, but they use more energy to stay up in the water column and then, if another fish pucks a fight with them, they can’t flee or fight back as well.

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a swim bladder issue - which can be due to infection, internal injury or other internal disease. Many people watch it - some treat in a separate tank -with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Some fish get this if there are chemical abnormalities in the water - are your parameters ok? Salinity? How long have you had the fish - any other symptoms?
Nothing remarkable with the water p. Salinity = 1.026. Phosphates a little high @.12
Had him for about a year. All other fish and inverts doing well.

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that is an under inflated swim bladder. If it has been like this for more than a short period, it is likely permanent. Fish can live like this, but they use more energy to stay up in the water column and then, if another fish pucks a fight with them, they can’t flee or fight back as well.
Yeah, its been at least a few weeks. My tank is pretty peaceful. Everybody gets a long well minus one territorial yellow damsel.

I see a lot of swim bladder articles googling, but most are referencing goldfish or koi. Are the mechanisms/treatments of swim bladder issues the same in freshwater and saltwater fishes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, its been at least a few weeks. My tank is pretty peaceful. Everybody gets a long well minus one territorial yellow damsel.

I see a lot of swim bladder articles googling, but most are referencing goldfish or koi. Are the mechanisms/treatments of swim bladder issues the same in freshwater and saltwater fishes?
Most swim bladder issues are from OVER inflation. In this case it is the rarer under inflation.

Treatment options are limited. Any freshwater tonic or treatment that includes salt, will of course not work in marine fish. Some of these issues are caused by internal bacterial disease - those are tough to treat, but you could try oral antibiotics;

Jay

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most swim bladder issues are from OVER inflation. In this case it is the rarer under inflation.

Treatment options are limited. Any freshwater tonic or treatment that includes salt, will of course not work in marine fish. Some of these issues are caused by internal bacterial disease - those are tough to treat, but you could try oral antibiotics;

Jay
Man is that a great article. The fish weight table is amazing. I’ve got some rally pro onhand, but unless you think it’ll drink enough of it I’m going to have to order. Would you suggest oxytetracycline in this case? I remember seeing Aeromonas as a potential swim bladder infection cause somewhere.

I assume QT and not try to pretreat the other fishes. If it is bacterial, is it contagious or more opportunistic?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back