Wrigley's 20-gallon JBJ Cubey

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a basic JBJ 20 midsize cubey. I've added a small petsmart skimmer and powerhead. I've also installed Hannah pH and Temp/EC probes. (I've been told to expect ridicule for "freshwater" deco in a reef tank, but it's a family tank, so I'll take it).

unnamed.jpg

I actually recently just had some Newbie? trouble with it and lost all my fish. Not really sure what happened, but I think I screwed up the water.

Everything was fine, I thought. I went to bed late and thought the fish put themselves to bed. I’m betting they were suffering now? Last Fri/Sat my ammonia levels got to .05. I had to make water, so I added API API ammo lock Saturday night and did a 25% water change on Sunday, and added 2 oz of Dr Tim's one and only. The filter sponge was dirty. I didn’t have one on hand as I thought, so I cleaned/rinsed it in the sink. Changed the carbon. And scraped the diatoms off the glass. I set the return underwater, not all splashy.

Ammonia levels were at <0.02 by the Ammonia Alert sticker when I went to bed and the water was clear, pH mid to upper 7s. Temp 79. SG 1.024. I did put a SaltwaterAquarium ORA captive-bred clown in and some snails/hermits earlier in the day. The clown didn’t look so good out of the box and it died later night (maybe due to water?). Given how it arrived, it wasn't surprising to me that it didn't make it. I saw it going to bed and its corpse was in a tough spot, at the back of the tank under the rock canopy, so I figured I’d remove it first thing in the morning. I woke up 6-7 hours later water was super milky-cloudy and all the fish and urchins were dead. I was able to save most of the Narcissus snails and hermit crabs. Only one of the Turbos "came back to life".

I’ve drained, cleaned, and rinsed it. Then filled it back up with Nutri Sea-water to get the surviving inverts in there and to try for another go. If anybody has any ideas about where I went wrong, I'd appreciate the lesson!

My guesses are a bacterial bloom or that having the return underwater and not splashy decreased the O2 in the water and made it hypoxic? That monitoring ammonia is not a great index of nitrates/nitrites? That adding a clown and inverts yesterday plus one fish dying starting a cascade that caused bacteria to bloom and use up all the oxygen and they suffocated? I’ve got no idea. I'm also still working at trying to feed the right amount.

Little sadder than I thought it would be losing fish. If there are any ideas, I’ve got a water change coming up on my 125 g tank and I’d like to not have it happen to that tank, too, if I did a bad rookie water change mistake.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may already be through this hurdle. That picture of your child with the tank appears that tank was or is in a full bacterial bloom.

Here’s the thing to remember about bacterial blooms. Water changes don’t help. Do them if you’d like. But it won’t solve your bacterial bloom. It does absolutely nothing. You need to aerate the water and wait it out Airstone? Because it is being deprived.

OR

A UV filter destroyed my bacterial bloom in its tracks it was almost completely knocked out in 24 hours. I use the green killing machine from Amazon it was like 50 bucks for my size I chose. I think petco sells one size. It’s like 70 or 80 bucks.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say. “I’ve drained, cleaned and rinsed it”.

What exactly do you mean by this. Did you take this tank down and rinse and clean EVERYTHING. As in rocks and sand too?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back