General help and guidance with lighting - acro white tips

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R members, im not sure exactly where to post this.

This is some general advise from my own experience and lighting and this kind of covers coral health.

So this has probably been done before with the whole lighting advise thread. I really want to put this out there as from my own experience I felt this very hard information to find when i was having troubles placing attention to light settings.

I had some issues with some acros completing dieing from RTN. At first it started with some white tips on my acropora. The most common things to appear on a search is alk swing or to high levels of light. Upon checking my KH i found that there was not much of a swing(this was when i manuelly dosed). So my instant reaction was OMG my lights are too high! I turned my lights down only to find that my acro RTN within half a day on the 2nd to third day of turning them down. I also found my LPS hammers and elegance to not seem to be extending much either. I had also bought another acro with only to have a white tip issue again of the coral loosing tissue on the tips.

After this incident and loss of acro, i decided to get a seneye to measure par. Now before you judge any measurement is better then none. When i started taking the measurements i found my par levels to be super low! I have recently cranked them up and my acro tiPs have since filled in and showing sign of recovery! No To mention LPS extendikg amd looking happyer.

So please I advise even if its just a simple seneye get somthing to measure your par levels in your tank! White tips dont always mean to high of light intensity or alk swings, it can also mean not enough light! Do your self a favour and get a seneye or better early, so you can measure not only chemistry but par level in your tank as well!

Happy reefing!

Cool tangs

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1625013234368.png

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R members, im not sure exactly where to post this.

This is some general advise from my own experience and lighting and this kind of covers coral health.

So this has probably been done before with the whole lighting advise thread. I really want to put this out there as from my own experience I felt this very hard information to find when i was having troubles placing attention to light settings.

I had some issues with some acros completing dieing from RTN. At first it started with some white tips on my acropora. The most common things to appear on a search is alk swing or to high levels of light. Upon checking my KH i found that there was not much of a swing(this was when i manuelly dosed). So my instant reaction was OMG my lights are too high! I turned my lights down only to find that my acro RTN within half a day on the 2nd to third day of turning them down. I also found my LPS hammers and elegance to not seem to be extending much either. I had also bought another acro with only to have a white tip issue again of the coral loosing tissue on the tips.

After this incident and loss of acro, i decided to get a seneye to measure par. Now before you judge any measurement is better then none. When i started taking the measurements i found my par levels to be super low! I have recently cranked them up and my acro tiPs have since filled in and showing sign of recovery! No To mention LPS extendikg amd looking happyer.

So please I advise even if its just a simple seneye get somthing to measure your par levels in your tank! White tips dont always mean to high of light intensity or alk swings, it can also mean not enough light! Do your self a favour and get a seneye or better early, so you can measure not only chemistry but par level in your tank as well!

Happy reefing!

Cool tangs
Just bought an acro pita coral for my BioCube and the par is 350-400 at the top. Is that enough?
image.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back