General marine isopod question.

Atlanta Reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2024
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Location
Atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm developing a quarantine tank. I've been slowly adding bio media from the main tank to the qt tank. Recently, I've noticed some small critters, larger than copepods, that are populating the qt tank. I've attached a link to a Google photos video of the new isopods. Can anyone tell me if these are safe for the fish? I've read a bunch about parasitic isopods, but I haven't been able to find anything about how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones. You have to wait until about 1/2 to 2/3 through the video before you get sharp focus.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TSMz5PssGaisx7FR9
Also attached
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240505_230151004.TS.mp4
    60.2 MB
I'm developing a quarantine tank. I've been slowly adding bio media from the main tank to the qt tank. Recently, I've noticed some small critters, larger than copepods, that are populating the qt tank. I've attached a link to a Google photos video of the new isopods. Can anyone tell me if these are safe for the fish? I've read a bunch about parasitic isopods, but I haven't been able to find anything about how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones. You have to wait until about 1/2 to 2/3 through the video before you get sharp focus.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TSMz5PssGaisx7FR9
Also attached
you could attach them on the post
 
I thought I did. Here it is again.
It's kind of big. When I went to upload it the second time, the site told me it was still uploading the first one.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240505_230151004.TS.mp4
    60.2 MB
Can anyone tell me if these are safe for the fish?
The kind you have are known in the hobby as "Munnid" isopods, but name seems to be incorrect. It's likely they're from the same taxonomic superfamily, Janiroidea, but I can't say for sure at this point.

Anyway, these kinds are safe and could be considered beneficial for fish/a tank.
I haven't been able to find anything about how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones.
It can be a bit tough depending on the kind of isopods (for example, differentiating between Sphaeromatid and Cirolanid isopods can be quite challenging), but generally speaking, the head (particularly the eyes), the tail, if they can curl into a ball or not, and sometimes the body shape can be used to tell if a pod is parasitic or not.

A more technical or specific breakdown can be accomplished using a good microscope, but it's not generally needed, and it's not easy/quick:
https://www.americanisopodsmyriapods.com/taxonomic-guide-to-isopods-of-north-america/isopoda
 
The kind you have are known in the hobby as "Munnid" isopods, but name seems to be incorrect. It's likely they're from the same taxonomic superfamily, Janiroidea, but I can't say for sure at this point.

Anyway, these kinds are safe and could be considered beneficial for fish/a tank.

It can be a bit tough depending on the kind of isopods (for example, differentiating between Sphaeromatid and Cirolanid isopods can be quite challenging), but generally speaking, the head (particularly the eyes), the tail, if they can curl into a ball or not, and sometimes the body shape can be used to tell if a pod is parasitic or not.

A more technical or specific breakdown can be accomplished using a good microscope, but it's not generally needed, and it's not easy/quick:
https://www.americanisopodsmyriapods.com/taxonomic-guide-to-isopods-of-north-america/isopoda
Thank you! That's what I to wanted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new