General Plumbing Question

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been around for a minute. Had several tanks over the years. Last night I had a thought when I start to run my leak test. I am thinking that I run a gallon of vinegar to 220 gallons of water during the leak test to clean out any chemicals remaining in the pipes during assembly. Has anybody done this in the past. Any level of success? I am not sure if it is worth it or not. Still on the fence.

Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freds-planet-aquarium-225-reef-build.909690/#post-10182056

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with blaxsun and projects with sam. Wipe down with a vinegar rag and leak test with normal water. Dump the normal water and you’ll be squeaky clean

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What chemicals are you worried about? The PVC cement? I've had that stuff drip into my reefs before without causing a problem. I would just use water.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Points all. Definitely over thinking it. I am going to leak test with fresh water that is going into the drain and that is likely going to pickup anything that is remaining, the tank and sump have been cleaned with Vinegar. The last tank I had a horrible Cyano issue and dont want a repeat of the situation. (Hence my over thinking process.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back