Generally speaking, what are some of the most “bulletproof” fish and corals?

Mgex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish are jumpers
Mine jumped out of my net and flopped on the floor and died within 3 days i assume from trauma but its the first fish thats ever done that to me so i wasnt expecting it now i put my hand over the net so they cant flop out anymore

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several mentions of Xenia, but the only coral I've lost to date was a Xenia. It was while I had dinos. Not sure if it was the dinos or lack of nutrients that actually took it out. In the tank at the time was a favia, ricordia, GSP and a goniopora. All of those survived just fine.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several mentions of Xenia, but the only coral I've lost to date was a Xenia. It was while I had dinos. Not sure if it was the dinos or lack of nutrients that actually took it out. In the tank at the time was a favia, ricordia, GSP and a goniopora. All of those survived just fine.
Xenia thrive in higher nutrient environments. And are good nutrient exporters if harvested regularly

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia thrive in higher nutrient environments. And are good nutrient exporters if harvested regularly
Mine grow great in my DT SPS dominate tank that is pretty low nutrient. NO3 around 1-2ppm, PO4 less than 0.1, usually around 0.05. My Nano tank is full of xenia and waving hands and always has the NO3 and PO4 around zero, but it only has one fish in it. My display refugium for the DT will have Xenia and waving hands just to keep my nutrients in check. It should be up and running in about a week and a half (just waiting on the pump I ordered today). Here is a pic of the tank so far. Ready for plumbing, sand, water and pump.
Tank2.jpg

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grow great in my DT SPS dominate tank that is pretty low nutrient. NO3 around 1-2ppm, PO4 less than 0.1, usually around 0.05. My Nano tank is full of xenia and waving hands and always has the NO3 and PO4 around zero, but it only has one fish in it. My display refugium for the DT will have Xenia and waving hands just to keep my nutrients in check. It should be up and running in about a week and a half (just waiting on the pump I ordered today). Here is a pic of the tank so far. Ready for plumbing, sand, water and pump.
Tank2.jpg
Yeah, you're right. It is pretty hard to find an environment that they don't thrive in. They really out-compete a lot of other corals I believe, so I really have to feed heavily to keep NO3 and PO4 levels above zero.

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the fish or coral in my tank are easy also a puffer fish that you cant see in the picture or a dotty back. I found all these fish and corals to be easy to take care of as long as water changes are being done.

15867312363072983539772866191748.jpg

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger gobies, Ocellaris clownfish, yellow watchman gobies, green Chromis, peppermint shrimp, pulsing Xenia, mushrooms, hermit crabs, Ceriths snails, palythoa, star polyps, Aussie elegance

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green nepthea leather coral....mine has been with me for over 10 years through multiple moves and failures and it is still going strong when other softies died in a crash.

The nice thing is it isn't invasive and doesn't spread like Kenya so it won't tick you off later.

I sent a frag to a friend that got lost in the mail for a week in the middle of winter and it lived like nothing happened.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful about what you wish for in hardy corals. Discosoma mushrooms, Xenia, and Green Star Polyps can and will take over an entire tank. Zoanthids will also spread like wildfire if conditions are right, but they are a little more easily controlled. I agree with others that suggest candy cane/trumpets (Caulastraea) and Duncan's corals (duncanopsammia).

My 2 yellowtail blue damsels are now at least 34 years old and have been through hell. Several times. They can be aggressive, and they don't care how big the other fish is... but they have never done any damage to other fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pocci. kenyi tree, some shrooms, and Stylo.
Fish- strawberry basslet, percula clown, 6 line wrasse

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mono Sebae's are very hardy, can thrive in any salinity, school with each other, and are ignored by other fish. I have kept them for many years and have yet to have one die. They eat anything. Ignore corals. They aren't that expensive either. They do not graze on algae, but they will eat nori. They do get large over time though.

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about captive bred clowns of the common varieties (not designer)? Are they just as susceptible to disease?

Also, I will not be getting any angel until 5-6 months after my tank’s been established. I will wait for the live rock to contain more algae since they’re grazers, and I will also wait for the conditions to stabilize a bit.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads but here’s the order in which I plan to add my fish:

First group will be Marine Betta and clownfish pair.

(Wait 3 weeks)

Second group will be Royal Gramma / Blackcap Basslet and a Swissguard Basslet.

(Wait 1 month)

Third group will be the pair of Flame Hawks.

(Wait 3-4 months)

Then I’ll add an angel.

Maybe I’m stocking way too quickly for 8 fish? Let me know if I am.

Now, if I can find a mated pair of angels, I’ll keep only one Basslet or one Flame Hawk but the order of Introduction won’t change.
Regarding your question about stocking too quickly. I think it is more about fish inches than number of fish. For instance, my Bengaii cardinals have 8-20 babies at a time and it is not really a shock to my system because the babies are about 1/8", so it is like adding one or two really small fish to the tank. They seem to have a brood about every three months. I have 17 in my display fuge right now, and momma seems to be getting ready to give daddy another mouth full.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back