Generators for power outage

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 22kw Generac whole generator and I love it. I bought it through Lowe's and was even able to finance it through them as well for the install. I already had natural gas, so all they had to do was run another line. I couldn't be happier with it honestly.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 22kw Generac whole generator and I love it. I bought it through Lowe's and was even able to finance it through them as well for the install. I already had natural gas, so all they had to do was run another line. I couldn't be happier with it honestly.
What did that cost? I’m looking at the same set up as my home has natural gas.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did that cost? I’m looking at the same set up as my home has natural gas.

I bought the 16k and it was $7200 installed (permits, whole house auto transfer switch, whole house surge protector and cold weather pkge)

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar really isn’t practical if you are looking for something to take over when the is out because, as mentioned, it will be shut down as well. As far as I know there is a one transfer switch available that will let you run about 2000 watts during a power outage but only when the sun is out and it won’t do your tank any good anyway if the house is 90 degrees like it is in FL during hurricane season.

To really have solar be useful in an outage you’d need a very large battery bank and that is many more dollars than a normal solar installation. It was going to double the cost of the system when I looked into it about 5 years ago.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What BTU rating is the Generac 22K for natural gas?

From Generac :
How many Btus is a 22kW Generac generator?
If you do contact a licensed plumber, the fuel spec for that unit is in the owner's manual and installation manual and will be 281,000 BTU/HR. If you have a new Wi-Fi unit model 70432 the spec is 327,000 BTU/HR.S

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Propane burns hotter so I guess that is why it has a higher rating. If you guys have a natural gas whole house generator and a gas stovetop and want to do an experiment. Next time the generator is running, turn on your stove top burners one at a time, watch the flame and see if the flame diminishes when you turn the next one on. That is the poor mans way to see if your gas line, meter, houseline can handle the increased load.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a good automatic generator that turns on automatically when the power goes off, I have the regular generator that is powered by gas and you turn on yourself but I wanted one for when I'm at work.
Home power makes a decent tri-fuel (gasoline, propane or natural gas). I had a 10k model that powered my house essentials and tank and it was pretty cheap, that and the fail over electrical was about $4k when I put it in about 15 years ago. Adjust for inflation... Generac is popular and good with a price tag to match.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back