Genus Paracheilinus: The Flasher Wrasses

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you know, the subject of wrasses is near and dear to my heart. I’ve noticed an uptick in questions regarding flasher wrasses lately so let’s talk about them!

First, let’s discuss the biology and behavior of these wrasses. Flasher wrasses and fairy wrasses are closely related and the two co-exist with each other throughout their geographic ranges. Flasher and fairy wrasses are both colorful, small and highly social. In the wild, they form large aggregations where females greatly outnumber males. Within these large aggregations are harems, where one dominant terminal-phase male spawns with a group of females. What do I mean by “terminal-phase” male? Glad you asked! In order to explain what that means, we need to dive a little deeper into their biology.

STFlWrasse1.jpeg

Paracheilinus attenuatus male flashing at a Cirrhilabrus johnsoni male. Photo by SaltyT

All flasher and fairy wrasses are protogynous hermaphrodites which means that they are all born as females and become secondary males through sex change brought on by social cues. After their post-larval stage, juvenile flasher and fairy wrasses begin to seek out their own kind and form groups. The juveniles within these groups develop into sexually mature females and begin exerting dominance over each other. The most dominant female will start her transformation into an initial-phase male. She will develop male sex organs and her appearance will begin to change. At this point it is possible for an initial-phase male to revert back to female if a more dominant male pressures him. Generally, this isn’t the case so as an initial-phase male grows and develops his characteristics will change, he’ll develop brighter coloration, larger finnage, and most importantly he’ll have the ability to flash. Once this happens, he is considered a terminal-phase male which means it is no longer possible for him to revert back to female.

STFlWrasse2.jpeg

Paracheilinus lineopunctatus in nuptial display. Photo by SaltyT

Now, let’s discuss what flasher wrasses are known for – flashing! Flashing is a term used to describe the nuptial display of a terminal-phase male. When he flashes, his colors enhance and metallic streaks and patches will display that aren’t visible when he’s in a relaxed state. During flashing episodes, he will erect his fins and swim with great speed to display at rival males or to attract the attention of females. Remember when I said that flasher and fairy wrasses co-exist with each other in large aggregations? Well, it just so happens that multiple species of flasher and fairy wrasses are usually found intermingling with each other and just to muddy things up even more, juveniles and females of multiple species are indistinguishable from each other. Even some juvenile and female fairy and flasher wrasses look similar to each other. How is a male supposed to pick out the correct species of female to spawn with in a group of intermixed species that look the same? The simple answer is he can’t, so that’s why mother nature gave him the ability to flash. When he flashes, he attracts the attention of a same-species female who identifies him instinctively as a male she can spawn with.

STFlWrasse3.jpeg

Paracheilinus nursalim male displaying for a harem of females in their natural habitat. Photo by Eric Cheng.

We’ve talked about their behavior and biology, now let’s discuss their habitat in the wild. Flasher wrasses are reef fish, but they’re rarely found among dense coral growths or in high surge reef areas. Instead, they prefer the outer edges of reefs and rubble flats where the reef is largely made up of relatively flat, unobstructed swimming areas. Low lying rubble enable males to swim freely at high rates of speed in order to put on their flashing displays at full effect.

STFlWrasse.jpeg

Paracheilinus piscilineatus. Photo by Kevin Kohen.

So now let’s talk about keeping these beautiful fish! The most common questions I see asked are what size tank do they require? What other fish can I keep with them? Can I get a male and female? And how long do they live?

I’ll start with tank size. Flasher wrasses maybe small in stature, but they’re large when it comes to their activity level. Flasher wrasses are used to having ample room to zoom about at high speed without fear of running into anything. When we add them to our aquariums, they have to adjust to the confines of a glass box and the aquascape we’ve created. It’s not unusual for a flasher wrasse that’s been confined to small quarters to injury itself by hitting a lid or some other structure in our tanks. Their high activity level is why it’s highly recommended that flasher wrasses are kept in tanks no less than 4 feet in length and with a lid made of screen or mesh in order to lessen the chance that they injure themselves swimming into something.

Ideal tankmates for flasher wrasses are other peaceful community fish. I do recommend mixing males of different species in order to appreciate the stunning displays that they are known for.

STFlWrasse5.png

Paracheilinus filamentosus males and females. Photo by Gerry Allen.

This brings me to the most frequently asked question; can I mix males and females? My advice is no because whether we like it or not, eventually all female Paracheilinus will transition to male in our closed systems regardless if a male is present or not. It’s nearly impossible to replicate the social hierarchy of a harem in our aquariums so without pressure on a female to spawn, nature will take its course and she will transition into a male. Two males of the same species will fight to the death in the confines of most of our tanks.

How long do flasher wrasses live? Sadly, flasher wrasses aren’t long lived so how long you get to enjoy them depends on the approximate age of the flasher wrasse when you acquire it. If you’re lucky enough to acquire a juvenile or female, you’ll see her transition into a gorgeous terminal-phase male and get to enjoy his displays for 4 to 5 years, possibly longer. Most of us acquire our flasher wrasses when they’re already a mature terminal-phase male so 3 to 4 years is a typical lifespan for males in our aquariums. Of course, your wrasse may live longer or less depending on how old he or she was when they were collected.

STFlWrasse6.jpeg

Paracheilinus mccoskeri. Photo by LiveAquaria.

Flasher wrasses are easy to keep and can make a wonderful addition to your tank as long as some basic requirements are met. Give them ample room to zoom about at the high speeds they’re known for and keep a mesh or screen lid on the tank so they don’t jump out or injure themselves. They’re not picky eaters and will eat just about anything you offer them. Most species are readily available and fairly inexpensive. I hope you enjoyed reading about these flashy little wrasses. Until next time, happy reefing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us @SaltyT!

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Paracheilinus nursalim readily available to hobbyists ? His nuptial display is unlike any flasher I’ve seen before & id love to have one in my tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Paracheilinus nursalim readily available to hobbyists ? His nuptial display is unlike any flasher I’ve seen before & id love to have one in my tank.
I don’t believe they are - To my knowledge they come from deeper waters and would most likely have a similar price tag as Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus if they do ever emerge into the hobby.
A similar one that is slightly more available is Paracheilinus attenuatus.

Great stuff by the way Salty!

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up!
So just to clarify, if I were to buy one female Wrasse and put it in a tank with other fish but no other Wrasses, it would definitely turn male? Or do there need to be other Wrasses in there to turn a female into male?
Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up!
So just to clarify, if I were to buy one female Wrasse and put it in a tank with other fish but no other Wrasses, it would definitely turn male? Or do there need to be other Wrasses in there to turn a female into male?
Thanks!
The wrasse will turn male on itself but that is if it’s not from the genera;
Pseudojuloides
Macropharyngodon
Anampses
This is due to the three genera above will most likely remain female without a pushing factor (another wrasse, often of the same species or relative species).

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse will turn male on itself but that is if it’s not from the genera;
Pseudojuloides
Macropharyngodon
Anampses
This is due to the three genera above will most likely remain female without a pushing factor (another wrasse, often of the same species or relative species).
Got it, thank you! :)

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi great article I have recently added a flasher wrasse to my tank, he has strange sleeping habits he sleeps on the sand under my algae magnet my yellow coris wrasse jumps into the sand every night but this new little dude is kinda timid after a week in the tank he has come out of his shell a bit playing with the anthia's and chromis but wow he just loves posing for beautiful pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_183549_1.jpg
    IMG_20220726_183549_1.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20220726_183548.jpg
    IMG_20220726_183548.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220726_173958.jpg
    IMG_20220726_173958.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220726_190549.jpg
    IMG_20220726_190549.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 81

rudrasreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. One question, without females do the flasher wrasse display the stunning colours and flashing behaviour? Females of Paracheilinus are rarely available.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. One question, without females do the flasher wrasse display the stunning colours and flashing behaviour? Females of Paracheilinus are rarely available.
Yep, they just need a reason to flare up (territorial, whether that’s with other flasher species or even just clownfish).
I mean, this guy showed off because of a cleaner wrasse then a clownfish and then also my Carpenter’s Flasher.
IMG_7687.jpeg

IMG_7683.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they will still flash without a female present. The first picture of this article is my diamond tail flashing at a fairy wrasse. The second picture of this article is my linespot flashing at everyone that was around him lol He put on elaborate displays every evening.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they will still flash without a female present. The first picture of this article is my diamond tail flashing at a fairy wrasse. The second picture of this article is my linespot flashing at everyone that was around him lol He put on elaborate displays every evening.
Out of curiosity, how did you make it so your guy didn’t have a deep black patch on his caudal and dorsal fin?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how did you make it so your guy didn’t have a deep black patch on his caudal and dorsal fin?
When he flashes the black fades some, but when he's relaxed it's more prominent.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he flashes the black fades some, but when he's relaxed it's more prominent.
Guess I need to get that Hawk out ASAP then to get those deep red colours out of him - the black is gorgeous but having a nice red colouring every once in a while would be great.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back