GEO Calcium Reactor CR510

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all,
I purchased the Geo CR510 back in September for my IM 50ext that I was going to set up once I moved. I moved in November and now the CaRx is up and running.

I’m having issue with so much air/gas recirculating and it’s pretty noisy for my liking. This is my first time having a CaRx so maybe I just didn’t know what to expect?

I’ve read several threads about recirculating air/gas. I’ve made sure all connections are tight and there’s no air entering the system. Some threads talk about releasing the air/gas from the top valve, which I don’t have. After looking at other CaRx, I’m starting to think that the design in this nano reactor isn’t ideal.

The highest port in the manifold is for the CO2 to enter. The port on the lid is for the effluent. The lower part on the manifold is for water to enter from the aquarium.

From what I’ve seen in other tanks, the highest port is usually the effluent. And I’m sure this helps remove air/gas from the system. But with the effluent port being low, air/gas is recirculated.

This also makes releasing the air difficult. I had to add splitters and valves to makeshift an air release port.

The feed pump I am using is an eco tech Versa. I currently have it to push water as 1) The versa is designed to push and not pull 2) Pushing water is the only way for me to release the air through my makeshift contraption.

I read somewhere that the reactors with the manifold on top is designed to work under pressure and needs water to be pulled. I tried this but the air recirculation was so bad.

Am I doing something wrong?
Hopefully these pics help to clarify things.

Thank you!

D0CE8280-FE94-4D12-A6E1-0C3480D927AF.jpeg D68D9985-AE54-469A-A537-9B24A0F2ED41.jpeg 12767481-9232-42F2-8422-B7EB46281E2B.jpeg 63A0567D-E81C-4AB6-BF31-365B3761DE14.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest port is on the circulation pump tube. If you are having a lot of gas enter at once it will get noisy. Can you dial down the CO2 regulator so that it doesn't dump a huge amont when the solenoid opens? I struggled with CO2 reactors until I replaced my regulator with a CarbonDoser. It slowly adds CO2 and I don't see bubbles of gas anywhere. It opens and injects and is dissolved in the chamber. GL

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The highest port is on the circulation pump tube. If you are having a lot of gas enter at once it will get noisy. Can you dial down the CO2 regulator so that it doesn't dump a huge amont when the solenoid opens? I struggled with CO2 reactors until I replaced my regulator with a CarbonDoser. It slowly adds CO2 and I don't see bubbles of gas anywhere. It opens and injects and is dissolved in the chamber. GL

Yes, the highest port is on the circulation pump tube. But what I’ve seen in other reactors is the highest port is the effluent port. I’m guessing this is to allow some gas to escape with the effluent so it doesn’t recirculate. But because my effluent port is lower, the gas does not exit and only builds up/recirculates.

I am currently using a Carbon Doser. I have the CaRx pH set to 6.6 controlled by the Profilux. I have it set to one bubble every 5 seconds. I am stumped on whether to increase the bubble size or increase the frequency of the bubble. Either way, I figured it would be the same amount of gas going in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back