OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through! Absolutely loving the build especially the fuge and frag tank! I love the shallow reefs keep it up
Thank you! Stay tuned, so much to come in the next few weeks. A few more fish, hooking up the calcium reactor, more coral, etc....
This has been immensely entertaining. It is fun to see a project manager loaded with budget, energy, research, obsession and vision get to work. All your equipment/build choices are really nice.

A few questions:
Curious if you deduced the nutrient source for the bacterial bloom? Ammonia is often a driver, but I could not pick out a source for that. I know it was temporary (as most are) but it puzzled me.

Big picture question about nutrient import versus export. You mention a light fish load which in the context of your export tools feels... super clean. Scary clean to me longer term. And yet your macro is growing right before our eyes. Did I miss mention of a school/method/regime you will run this system on? Triton? Red Sea? Zeo? Other? I run all the same/similar nutrient export tools, but dump in tablespoon of meat and nori everyday.

I am also a big fan of the sump blocks. They process a lot of NO3. I will say that I eventually had to shield them from light. I could not keep them in the fuge. Have you done this part before?

Keep it coming. Good stuff.
Much appreciated! It definitely is an obsession. I enjoy the building of the system as much as maintaining it. I will say since this was my first tank not using live rock it had been a new learning experience for sure. Now to answer your questions.
I am still trying to figure out the cause of the bacterial bloom. My wife had accidentally burned a fragrance candle a day before it happened but still not sold that it was the cause. I do have a 3yr old that could have easily dropped something into the frag or refugium and she was running around with doughnut holes the day before as well. That sugar coating could have triggered it as well even if it was just her hands getting in the water... I am watching like a hawk now and have some cameras coming to hopefully keep this from happening again. (Plus it will be cool to watch my tank when I’m out)
Now to your other question.
You sir are correct. I have not said anything about my plan/method I will be following. Nice observation! I want to keep it low on fish for now and see how things go but will definitely be adding nutrients as needed to keep up with the exports. It will take a bit to get the balance right there. Moonshiners method is what has my Interest and what I have been building for. So a modified Triton method if you will. I’ll be setting up the CaRx soon and I know balance will change again once it’s up and running.
I have not used these blocks before and appreciate any information and experiences people have had with them. If I have to I can move them over to the sump next to the skimmer. Love it when people have questions! :)

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First shipment of ordered corals arrived today. All were dipped with three little fishies ReVive coral cleaner and checked for pests. A quick scrub with the toothbrush on the plug and the are on the rack.

AE2F4751-F443-4D86-B577-C6939E976C91.jpeg C32B18C6-4204-4CEE-BD5D-D65E790C7410.jpeg C4EECAA1-E1EB-451E-A155-A5D7FAF2178E.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the bacterial approaches as many other stick lovers do. But I have to admit that since dealing with dinos, I have gone over to the dark "dirty" side with elevated (some would say) nutrients. NO3>10 and PO4 > .1. Seems to keep everybody happier including the herbivores. Fat fish are happy fish. Pooping fish make for happy corals.

Could've missed it, but have you posted NO3 and PO4 values yet? Nice colors on those frags.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the bacterial approaches as many other stick lovers do. But I have to admit that since dealing with dinos, I have gone over to the dark "dirty" side with elevated (some would say) nutrients. NO3>10 and PO4 > .1. Seems to keep everybody happier including the herbivores. Fat fish are happy fish. Pooping fish make for happy corals.

Could've missed it, but have you posted NO3 and PO4 values yet? Nice colors on those frags.
I agree with you and have had much success with the “dirty” side of things. (Clean but dirty ;Happy) My current NO3 is 20 and PO4 is .03 as of this morning. I’m still on a daily testing schedule. I want to keep my NO3 up but I feel I will need a bit of a heavier bio load to satisfy the fuge.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And while we are on that subject of added bio load, these guys are acclimated and in the tank as well as the Mystery wrasse. (He is hiding in the cave)

FB6DE0E1-144E-4E73-9E04-3128816B3AB9.jpeg 6775966D-8351-40D1-98CB-86E7FC56DA00.jpeg

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and before I get the Tang police jumping down my throat, they are both juvenile and will be moved to bigger tank as soon as they grow to size. I’m planning a large peninsula room separator here very soon.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And while we are on that subject of added bio load, these guys are acclimated and in the tank as well as the Mystery wrasse. (He is hiding in the cave)

FB6DE0E1-144E-4E73-9E04-3128816B3AB9.jpeg 6775966D-8351-40D1-98CB-86E7FC56DA00.jpeg
Who dat tang? Beauty. Looks like some scopas I don't have. Yet.

Tangs, rabbits and algae blennies are my best fishy friends. Hardest working fish in the reef IMO.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who dat tang? Beauty. Looks like some scopas I don't have. Yet.

Tangs, rabbits and algae blennies are my best fishy friends. Hardest working fish in the reef IMO.
It is a juvenile Achilles. As it grows older it will get its orange teardrop will grow to something like this. They are both already cleaning up the turf algae still on the frag plugs. Great workers!

EDB3B06B-6ABC-47EA-8B32-E10EF6A3B2ED.jpeg

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is pulling out some darker stuff finally. Bio load has been increased with the fish and some over feeding. NO3 is steady at 20. Got the Co2 scrubber mounted as well. On another note my conductivity probe went bananas this morning. 60 readings. Lol oh technology is great when it works. I wonder if it has anything to do with the bacterial slime that happened. Tried removing possible bubbles but nothing. Cleaned with RO water as well. The wire is not run with any others. I’m going to attempt drying it out and recalibration. Who knows.

668414CF-1F91-4F76-8369-78A22D883D34.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Slime is almost completely gone from all tanks. Now I have a red Ogo growth explosion. Lol;Smuggrin
Honestly I know people have had bed experience with this Macro algae but it is working awesomely for me right now. 3 weeks in a new system and I’m going to be harvesting next week. I’m going to have to get a bigger bio load going so I don’t starve it. Time to move over some more fishes from quarantine. Here’s a comparison to save you from scrolling back.

18DAF232-55DB-43E2-8E66-F9511F7DD17D.jpeg A4DB966B-826E-49D9-8311-C49359131A19.jpeg 1BD0277F-A821-4308-9317-2B2DFFD18525.jpeg
Man, this setup is rad! Those side stations are dope!

And I'm SERIOUSLY jealous of those art pieces on the wall!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I purchased for the side cabinet. I will put the Cube fuge in the upper right area. I won’t be able to pull it out on the sliders the cabinet came with but I have plans to use them for my control board under the display. My current plans are to frost the glass on the other side door since it will be used for misc fish stuff but I’m toying with using that as a dosing pump cabinet and backlighting it with LEDs. Still have time to decide on that though.

53BFC5C1-960B-4C79-B50E-3AC429883A44.jpeg

What's the dimensions on this and where'd you buy it??? I love it.

nvm sorry read up a bit :D

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Telmu 40x-1000x microscope to have on hand for inevitable future diagnosis.
Today I have some free time to get behind the controller board and mount up my power bricks with these awesome modular holders that not only allow stacking but plenty of space for air to flow for cooling as well. @ludnix came through again big time! Even sent pre-Drilling templates! Huge thank you! :)
keeping things organized is a necessity in my opinion. Having the power bricks stacked will help out immensely there.

1D63C654-4913-4407-9A19-1B15F3C8C9E4.jpeg 17CA3D44-B42A-43D1-A882-7C6F3868DF3C.jpeg

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad that slime is going away! Mine was short lived as well but weird issues like that are always stressful!
They can be really time consuming and absolutely stressful! I will prevail against this and many more things I know is inevitable it this hobby. Everything still seems really happy (aside from my tangs that decided to get aggressive towards each other 4days into the main tank after being in quarantine for weeks together) and tests are good as well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back