get parameters back on track

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 60g cube is about 3 years old. I've recently neglected it and need to get my parameters back in check. Its a mixed reef with softies, LPS, and a few montis. I did some testing and got the following readings:
Ca - 330ppm
Alk - 5.7dkh
Mg - 1040

I'm also dealing with some algae in the display but I've upgraded my fuge size and the light to a Kessil H80 to hopefully help remediate the problem.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do long term to maintain them (considering kalk doser, BRS 2-part, or one of the more comprehensive options like aquaforest or triton).

I'm planning to order the BRS 2-part pre-portioned starter kit to help me get things back in line. I read that attempting to correct this imbalance using just kalkwasser isn't recommended. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I dose Magnesium first or follow the instructions here exactly (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instr...epackaged-Kit) They suggest completing a gallon and Alk/Ca first then adding Magnesium.

Thanks!

Last edited:

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first start by doing a larger water change and continue to do weekly water changes to see what your levels would be while maintaining the tank and it not being neglected.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to order the BRS 2-part pre-portioned starter kit to help me get things back in line. I read that attempting to correct this imbalance using just kalkwasser isn't recommended. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I dose Magnesium first or follow the instructions here exactly (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instr...epackaged-Kit) They suggest completing a gallon and Alk/Ca first then adding Magnesium.

Thanks!

It's not that limewater (kalkwasser) isn't "recommended", it is impossible. It boosts alk by 2.8 dKH for each 20 ppm of calcium. So you can slowly raise alk with it just fine (I know some people even discount that, but they are wrong), but will still potentially have a big calcium deficit after getting alk to normal.

We can guide you through the process. The "guidance" for my DIY (which BRS is selling) that relates to the magnesium part is for maintenance, not correcting problems.

OP
OP
turbo2oh

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring salinity? I suspect low salinity (based especially on the magnesium value, if it is accurate), and raising it will go a long way to solving those low values.

Thanks for the help Randy! I tested salinity with my refractometer, it was 1.024. I tested it against some of my RO/DI water as well to ensure it wasn't out of calibration and it read 0. I also retested Mg with my Red Sea Reef Foundation test kit and got the same result (though the kit is probably around 2 years old at this point). Do you suggest I go ahead with my plan of purchasing 2 part to start correcting the issues?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That specific gravity value may be inaccurate if calibrated with RO/DI. I recommend a 35 ppt standard.

That said, even if accurate, raising it to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) will boost everything, such as magnesium from 1040 to more than 1144 ppm. :)

The ingredients for the two part is a fine way to go to make these corrections, but you won't add them exactly as you do a two part. :)

OP
OP
turbo2oh

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That specific gravity value may be inaccurate if calibrated with RO/DI. I recommend a 35 ppt standard.

That said, even if accurate, raising it to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) will boost everything, such as magnesium from 1040 to more than 1144 ppm. :)

The ingredients for the two part is a fine way to go to make these corrections, but you won't add them exactly as you do a two part. :)

I dug around and I found some Refractometer calibration solution. It was a little off, I checked again after recalibration and got 1.023. I'll try adding some saltwater to bring it back up. Thanks for the tip! I'll retest once I get it up to 1.026 and report back with new readings.

OP
OP
turbo2oh

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, checking back in. I've raised my salinity to 1.026.

My current readings are:
Alk 5.9dkh
Mg 1210ppm

I've purchased the BRS 2-part and have been raising Mg using that first. I'm going to try to get it up to 1350ppm. At that point is it safe to start raising my Alk? If so, at what pace? Should I then wait until its correct before raising Ca or should I raise both concurrently?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, checking back in. I've raised my salinity to 1.026.

My current readings are:
Alk 5.9dkh
Mg 1210ppm

I've purchased the BRS 2-part and have been raising Mg using that first. I'm going to try to get it up to 1350ppm. At that point is it safe to start raising my Alk? If so, at what pace? Should I then wait until its correct before raising Ca or should I raise both concurrently?

I'd raise the alk now, as well as the magnesium. Alk is more important than exact magnesium levels.

OP
OP
turbo2oh

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I've gotten everything back in line:
Alk: 7.9
Ca: 450
Mg: 1400

Now I just have to deal with this stubborn display algae, it seems to be hanging on despite my manual removal, chaeto fuge, and GFO reactor. :mad:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back