Hey everyone! So I am getting a new, moderately priced coral, I am getting a dragon soul torch next week! I am expand nervous! Does anyone here have any insight about them?
They need moderate care and assure calcium go to low or high levels, medium flow and light. Mine always deep in color - One of the biggest problems I see is failing to account for the calcium demand for these specimens. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. Also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it as you could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis.
Like most large polyp stony corals, torch coral benefits from moderate water flow.
They are best at upper half of tank where they can receive proper light and water flow. Too little or too much flow will cause this. Torch require typical parameters which you have IF accurate including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm
Mag 1300-1360
Torch coral do best in moderate water flow. The polyps will shrink if the flow is too fast because the polyps will tear off in higher currents. Also torches are a photosynthetic coral which has a relationship with its inner zooxanthellae which lives inside its tissues that converts the light into energy which feeds the coral. While it does not require direct feeding, feeding is beneficial and I feed mine Mysis shrimp.