Getting a Regal Angelfish to Eat?

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
( I posted this exact same thread yesterday however I wanted to see if I could get any more Ideas)

Hi there, four days ago I purchased a regal angelfish from the LFS. I am fourteen and I've been researching this fish for over a year. It is my dream fish which I thought I would never get the opportunity to purchase due to the lack of availability where I live (Canada). He is from the Maldives and is about 4-5 inches. When I picked him up he was fat and eating brine. I was unable to quarantine sadly him due to my ill-preparedness and lack of time, so he was added directly to the tank. My tank is a 125G with the following stocking:
Purple tang
Cream angel
Blue tang
Foxface
5 Lyretail anthias
1 royal gramma
1 pair of clownfish
(and yes I do realize some of these fish need more space when they get bigger but I know somebody who will gladly take them when they outgrow my tank)
All of the above are healthy and eating :)
All the fish above are also very small (max 2 inches) and have shown absolutely no aggression towards the regal. All the other fish believe he is the king of the tank however he believes they all want to eat him(LOL). So far I have tried feeding purple and green seaweed tied to a rock, open half shelled clams ( he does appear to nibble at these occasionally), trigger pods, micro pellets, spirulina, brine shrimp, Mysis, blood worms and fresh half shelled oysters. I have mixed in garlic as well. Whenever I feed he swims off to his cave behind the live rock. He appears to be perfectly healthy and regularly comes out of his cave to explore the whole tank. He only decides to hide when I start feeding. I have also added an orange tree sponge which he has pecked at from inside his cave a few times. This morning I also noticed a few white spots that appear to be ich or Lymphocyctis on his fins so I immediately started dosing the entire tank with Ruby Reef- kick ich and rally just to be extra safe. Other than the ich or lympho, will he eventually begin eating or is this not normal? I am rather new to the hobby so I get paranoid quite easily ;) any feeding tips and tricks are appreciated and I would love to hear some other ideas on what to feed him. It's my dream fish so I really don't want to screw this up! Sorry for the super long post:

(would I be able to take a razor blade and cut small pieces of the sponge and stuff it in the rock to try and simulate natural sponge feeding)

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re trying hard I would suggest when feeding watch from a distance to see if it eats or not. It sounds like the fish is still wary of you being in front of the tank .. iff all else fails add Zia or mushroom rock mine used to chow these down! Lol and it was also particularly fond of floating spirulina pellets

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to take a bit of time for the regal to acclimate. Try as many different foods as you can in the hope that something will tempt him. I have heard that masstick can work with regal .... worth a try if you can find it.

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with the LRS fish frenzy frozen food. My regal took it from day one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back