Getting a used tank

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I finally found a tank that is almost what I want and got it for a good deal it’s 16” high I love shallow tanks it’s around 90g . My question is it has black trim on it and was wanting to remove the black trim from the top could I have glass cut to make a new trim for the top to make it a little more eye pleasing? I like the look of a euro brace

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I finally found a tank that is almost what I want and got it for a good deal it’s 16” high I love shallow tanks it’s around 90g . My question is it has black trim on it and was wanting to remove the black trim from the top could I have glass cut to make a new trim for the top to make it a little more eye pleasing? I like the look of a euro brace
If it has the black trim the trim has to stay.

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I euro braced it ? All be getting the tank in a few days I know it was a custom made tank all see how thick the glass is on it

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure if you have experience as a tank builder and had access to precision cutting equipment you could get away with it. Is it worth 90g of water on the living room floor? Nahhhhh... The trim is structural and I know modifying a tank's structure can have disastrous results.

I will follow along incase anyone has any solid ideas as I too wanted to remove trim at one point.

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure if you have experience as a tank builder and had access to precision cutting equipment you could get away with it. Is it worth 90g of water on the living room floor? Nahhhhh... The trim is structural and I know modifying a tank's structure can have disastrous results.

I will follow along incase anyone has any solid ideas as I too wanted to remove trim at one point.
The only reason why I think it might be possible is it’s a shorter tank and I think as long as the glass is thicker and you euro brace I think the structure is still there but I’m no expert lol

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank the glass is 3/8” the braces up top we’re all separate and don’t think they were holding much . I’m going to try and do a euro brace on it with 3/8 glass about 2 1/2 to 3” wide . When I went and picked up the tank and got it home I didn’t realize one of the panels had a slight tint to it almost smoked so as I was taking it out to replace the one panel I chipped a side panel so now it’s getting 2 new panels lol

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank the glass is 3/8” the braces up top we’re all separate and don’t think they were holding much . I’m going to try and do a euro brace on it with 3/8 glass about 2 1/2 to 3” wide . When I went and picked up the tank and got it home I didn’t realize one of the panels had a slight tint to it almost smoked so as I was taking it out to replace the one panel I chipped a side panel so now it’s getting 2 new panels lol
ouch.... looks like that is turning in to some work. If you need support, you have an entire community here. Let us know how we can help you out.

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch.... looks like that is turning in to some work. If you need support, you have an entire community here. Let us know how we can help you out.
I enjoy doing stuff like this watching it all
Come together . I have replaced panels on other tank but they have been smaller tanks this to me is a whole new game but should be fun

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide of a euro brave would be good 3” wide ? Or smaller ?

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old overflow box had 1 1\2 newbie drains am making a new one and want to do a bean animal would 1" drains be enough for a 80g ?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old overflow box had 1 1\2 newbie drains am making a new one and want to do a bean animal would 1" drains be enough for a 80g ?
possibly. depends on how much flow you desire or how many times you want to turn the water over in the tank per hour.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, mine are 1" on my 120G. As @Joe Glass Cages said, it depends on how much flow you want though.

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new sides on the tank and just started the top trim I went with 3” 3/8 for the top same as the tank

Attachments

• 3F440A02-F12A-45FD-923E-11CE7BAACC85.jpeg
    3F440A02-F12A-45FD-923E-11CE7BAACC85.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot help with the technical details but what I do know is that is probably a lot of water damage if it fails.
The old plastic stuff was a 4 piece plastic that was not doing much for the tank for structural this to me is a major upgrade for the tank . The plastic stuff was only silicones you the top with hardly any silicon and was not doing anything for the corners

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new sides on the tank and just started the top trim I went with 3” 3/8 for the top same as the tank
Is your eurobrace sitting on top of the side panes or inside? Hard to tell from the pic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back