Getting back in the game!

reeffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Lillian, Alabama which is across the bay from the Pensacola Florida area and I just got back into the hobby. I knew a lot had changed in the fifteen years since I had been away so you could say that I am back to newbie status. With that said the internet if my friend and between Reef2Reef and BRSTV on YouTube I have learned a lot in a short time. So lets get to the usual questions:
I have started off small with a nano tank as a friend with a freshwater BioCube 29 had an extra one sitting in their garage and just gave it to me. I had to buy the new BioCube 32 hood and because this hood came with a hinge that wasn't on the original tank I had to make my own. I bought some clear acrylic and with a band saw, drill, J.B. Weld, and an half inch aluminum rod I made my own.
I bought an InTank media and a fuge basket. The tank water enters the first chamber of the back wall refugium where I have my heater and BioCube protein skimmer (nothing else will fit). Water spills over to the fuge basket where I have filter floss at the top and chemi-clean elite, then Purigen at the bottom ( knowledge from Thomas at BRSTV ). Then to the media fuge basket where I have Cheato being hit with a Nano Glo magnetic light to light up the refugium ( had to scrape off the black glass paint ). I have some copepods from Algaebarn living in the Cheato having a good ole time. This chamber flows into the last chamber where I have my pump that is connected to a UV light and back into the viewable tank.
My sub-strait is Pensacola sand taken near the dunes away from the tide line. I wanted local sand but bleached of any nasties from the shore line and this seems to have worked out fine. I bought some AquaScapes rocks for the fish to hide in and corals to perch on.
For fish I purchased a pair of percula clownfish, a blue hippo tang, lemon damsel, and a cleaner shrimp. For corals I have a Kenya tree, Toadstool Leather, Finger leather to fill out the tank along with LPS Blastomussa Merletti and one head of a Pineapple Brain coral.
I also purchased a Bulk Reef Supply 5 stage deluxe RO/DI system and I am using Tropic Marine salt. I had bought some live rock early on from a local store, hoping to introduce coralline algae into my tank, but realizing that it included bristle worms, a gorilla crab and aiptasia, I removed it quickly. Now I have some pink and purple coralline algae kit from ARC Reef on the way.
Let me know if you want to know anything else. Happy reefing!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I live in Lillian, Alabama which is across the bay from the Pensacola Florida area and I just got back into the hobby. I knew a lot had changed in the fifteen years since I had been away so you could say that I am back to newbie status. With that said the internet if my friend and between Reef2Reef and BRSTV on YouTube I have learned a lot in a short time. So lets get to the usual questions:
I have started off small with a nano tank as a friend with a freshwater BioCube 29 had an extra one sitting in their garage and just gave it to me. I had to buy the new BioCube 32 hood and because this hood came with a hinge that wasn't on the original tank I had to make my own. I bought some clear acrylic and with a band saw, drill, J.B. Weld, and an half inch aluminum rod I made my own.
I bought an InTank media and a fuge basket. The tank water enters the first chamber of the back wall refugium where I have my heater and BioCube protein skimmer (nothing else will fit). Water spills over to the fuge basket where I have filter floss at the top and chemi-clean elite, then Purigen at the bottom ( knowledge from Thomas at BRSTV ). Then to the media fuge basket where I have Cheato being hit with a Nano Glo magnetic light to light up the refugium ( had to scrape off the black glass paint ). I have some copepods from Algaebarn living in the Cheato having a good ole time. This chamber flows into the last chamber where I have my pump that is connected to a UV light and back into the viewable tank.
My sub-strait is Pensacola sand taken near the dunes away from the tide line. I wanted local sand but bleached of any nasties from the shore line and this seems to have worked out fine. I bought some AquaScapes rocks for the fish to hide in and corals to perch on.
For fish I purchased a pair of percula clownfish, a blue hippo tang, lemon damsel, and a cleaner shrimp. For corals I have a Kenya tree, Toadstool Leather, Finger leather to fill out the tank along with LPS Blastomussa Merletti and one head of a Pineapple Brain coral.
I also purchased a Bulk Reef Supply 5 stage deluxe RO/DI system and I am using Tropic Marine salt. I had bought some live rock early on from a local store, hoping to introduce coralline algae into my tank, but realizing that it included bristle worms, a gorilla crab and aiptasia, I removed it quickly. Now I have some pink and purple coralline algae kit from ARC Reef on the way.
How long has tank been running and cycling ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please post pic or two of tank

OP
OP
reeffin

reeffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has tank been running and cycling ?
It's been running for 8 months. With the cost of everything I started off using bottled five gallon RO water until I could afford my RO/DI system. This was a mistake as this gave me the uglies with green and now brown ciano. As the coralline didn't show up from the brief live rock, I'm hoping that the addition of coralline and the new RO/DI system I can get past this ugly stage quick. That is another reason I bought the UV sterilizer.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome and Welcome Back! Glad you joined. Patience is the magic in this hobby!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). It sounds like you are already on your way!

This might help you find people local to you in Lillian:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

easyautocare18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back