Getting back into the hobby

  • Thread starter Thread starter mechengr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mechengr

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2024
Messages
18
Reaction score
28
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm getting back into the saltwater hobby after a very long hiatus. So much has changed in 20 years! Anyway, I decided to restock my 40 gal aquarium and try my hand at a reef tank. My LFS has been a great help to get me started along with copious amounts of information on the web.

As a newbie worrier, I wanted to get some feedback on how I'm doing. Below are the details of my tank:
Tank has been up and running for about 3 months now
40gal tall
AI blade coral grow
Oversized wet/dry external sump with protein skimmer (from a 125 gal tank)
AI Nero3 flow pump

Params as of Monday
SG - 1.026
Temp - 80.6 (warm but consistent)
Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <1
Alk - 7.5 (struggling to keep it up)
Phos - 0.15
pH - 8.1

Livestock:
2 clownfish
Yellowtail damsel
Firefish goby
Lubbock Wrasse
hairy mushroom coral
Zoas
Candy Cane Coral
6 turbo snails
3 hermit crabs
Tiger Conch
Cleaner shrimp

So, how does it look for being 3 months in? Anything I should add/change/remove?
Thanks for the feedback!!

IMG_5938.jpg
 
Looks good so far. Temp is a little warm though, I keep my tank at 78. Also you need to get your nitrAtes up. I keep mine between 10 and 25 ppm. But overall, your tank looks good.
 
Welcome back to it. And Welcome to our Community. I'm sure you'll dig it here!
 
Welcome back! The tank is looking good.

I noticed the temperature is warmer than I have experience with, but I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. For alk, I use an Avast MarineWorks Kalk Stirrer, and I am able to keep my alk pretty constant. It helps with pH, too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new