Getting Back Into The Hobby

BrianH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm looking to start a reef tank after being out of the hobby for 10+ years. I'm probably going to start a 65 gallon reef. I already have my old equipment including MH lighting, skimmer, dosing pump etc, and I kept my old live rock in buckets with salt water.
The main question I have is about a deep sand bed. It was all the rage when I had my tank in the past, but I would like to know what current thinking is on this. I was able to buy Caribbean sand from my local home depot in the past, and I would like to hear opinions on going this route now.
Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Excited to see your new tank set up.

As for DSB...it's definitely not a popular thing anymore. When researching my setup I found numerous articles/videos on the downsides to 2+ inches of sand. I can't remember off the top of my head what happens to those deep beds, but over time something builds up and it's no bueno.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) Good info above

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in the hobby in the mid 80s and I had a DSB but as soon as i saw people having success with bare bottom tanks I yanked the sand and was never happier.
10 months ago I restarted my tank and it is a bare bottom tank. Never going back to sand although I like the look of a little sand.

Back