Getting bad advice from LFS

jdubDaReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we talk about the fact that a lot of fish stores are there to make money and don’t always know every answer. They will often tell you what you want to hear to sell a product. People in this hobby are so quick to just take advice from someone instead of doing their own research. It’s fine to ask questions but take everything with a grain of salt and do your own research.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can we talk about the fact that a lot of fish stores are there to make money and don’t always know every answer. They will often tell you what you want to hear to sell a product. People in this hobby are so quick to just take advice from someone instead of doing their own research. It’s fine to ask questions but take everything with a grain of salt and do your own research.
Happens all the time!

One of the things I love about one of my local LFS is that they’ll tell you “I’m not sure on that, let me help you look up more information” if they don’t know about something in particular and it’s clear that they do their research.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough because you see it all over the place with buying coral too. A lot of it will be fine. My first tank after I cycled they told me I was good for a torch since I finished cycling! Needless to say it did not end well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its a tough spot to be in as we entrust in our retailers as a source of information as well as availability of goods/livestock. Its a risk we take with both the husbandry of livestock and valid information being given. It would be a bonus if you walk into a given store and they ask you about your tank and occupants before selling you a fish which may not be compatible.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, it happens. . . and I think it will probably always happen. That is not to say that it is intentional or malicious just the nature of the game haha (sounds really lame!)

I don't totally agree that they will tell you anything to sell you something. . . sometimes they will. . . but I think sometimes in this hobby people legit think the best and or only solution is to throw more money at the tank (sometimes they are right haha)

Take LFS advise with a grain of salt, do your own research, and try to give people grace (or "assume best intent").

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens all the time!

One of the things I love about one of my local LFS is that they’ll tell you “I’m not sure on that, let me help you look up more information” if they don’t know about something in particular and it’s clear that they do their research.
That’s a really good way to go about it. Atleast they are honest and don’t try and make things up

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my (limited) experience: LFS that are effectively an elaborate marketing tool for their aquarium maintenance services tend to be a bit better about this.

They’re being paid to keep a ton of tanks, some rather serious in size, going well so need a decent level of expertise, primary revenue is from the services dept so are under less financial pressure to move any individual piece of livestock out the door and have less conflict of interest if something you wan to buy might not be a good fit for your system.

The downside is they (IME) tend to carry more variable and limited livestock.

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making friends with someone that has many years of experience and a beautiful tank is about the best thing you can do. Also, do your own research on every question you have. There are so many good resources available (this site and the BRS youtube videos) are two good places to start. I think it is a bad strategy to depend on an LFS for information. I know there are LFS owners and employees that are very knowledgable and really care, but I have also heard a lot of bad advice.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two LFS's in my area are very knowledgeable luckily. I was starting a tank up not two long ago and was having them double check the water, they didn't like what they saw a strongly encouraged me to wait a few more weeks before putting any coral in. The owner of one is an actual marine biologist he's very knowledgeable and has no problem answering anything you ask and all around a friendly guy. The other store is smaller and caters to more high end stuff, the owner also very knowledgeable and talkative, his main display before he started to reset it was a work of art. He also has a maintenance side of his business so maybe as someone stated earlier they have a vested interest in giving the right advice.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Im in my usual LFS they will tell me if they dont know an answer. Id much rather hear that then a made up lie

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lucky I have a great Lfs. Owners have been in business for decades. Tanks are spotless and a great selection. What they don’t have they will order for me. They made me wait an additional 2 months before they would sell me a diamond watchman goby, they right move

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of them were clueless about anything, all they know is they have products to sell and will try and talk to you into buying stuff that you don’t need, if we didn’t have places like this or the Facebook groups a lot of reefers would be buying all kinds of junk that they don’t need

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever find yourself asking questions you already know the answer to? Just to kinda judge what they know by the answer they give.

I find it to be such a better experience when the LFS asks about my tank. Stocking list, size, and so on. I’d rather be refused a fish and steered in a different direction if the fish I’m choosing will cause problems in my tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back