LFS business practices

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broad opinion question. I bought a gem tang for 700 bucks for my tank. After the fish settled in after a few weeks, it became very aggressive with my other fish and not just the other tangs, even to the point of nipping at them. I removed the tang and brought it back to the store. Rather than doing a return, the store said they would do a consignment and take a 20% fee and charge me for room and board while we wait for someone to buy it.

What is your thoughts. Is this fair? I am really just curious what other view on this or other LFS owners store practice in a situation like this?

Thanks

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broad opinion question. I bought a gem tang for 700 bucks for my tank. After the fish settled in after a few weeks, it became very aggressive with my other fish and not just the other tangs, even to the point of nipping at them. I removed the tang and brought it back to the store. Rather than doing a return, the store said they would do a consignment and take a 20% fee and charge me for room and board while we wait for someone to buy it.

What is your thoughts. Is this fair? I am really just curious what other view on this or other LFS owners store practice in a situation like this?

Thanks
Seems fair, though I would have said 10% a bit more friendly.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Sounds more than fair to me. A lot of stores would give you some percentage of retail price as a trade in. You're more likely to come out ahead this way. I wouldn't expect any store to accept a fish as a return after 2 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back