Getting frustrated

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try reducing the length of time for both the blue lights and especially the white lights. My white lights are only on 5-6 hrs and my blue are on 9 hrs. Your coral will still be ok with that.

Also you could add a combtooth blenny, ( a midas, orange spot or linear). They are good for your size tank and they eat algae along with adding lots of personality.

Feed some green based food. Mysis is very high in protein and fat. Try feeding formula 2 or emerald entree on some days. Your fish will appreciate the variety too.

Hang in there, newer tanks take a while to mature and get that balance where pests are not so persistent.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try reducing the length of time for both the blue lights and especially the white lights. My white lights are only on 5-6 hrs and my blue are on 9 hrs. Your coral will still be ok with that.

Also you could add a combtooth blenny, ( a midas, orange spot or linear). They are good for your size tank and they eat algae along with adding lots of personality.

Feed some green based food. Mysis is very high in protein and fat. Try feeding formula 2 or emerald entree on some days. Your fish will appreciate the variety too.

Hang in there, newer tanks take a while to mature and get that balance where pests are not so persistent.
Do you think a blenny would be too much for my tank? I already have five fish. I really shouldn't have added the dartfish. I should have gotten a blenny instead but.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a blenny would be too much for my tank? I already have five fish. I really shouldn't have added the dartfish. I should have gotten a blenny instead but.
I think you should still be ok. I had a 36 gallon bowfront and had as many as 8 fish in it. Don't feed any heavier, except maybe to get the blenny acclimated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have white lights off currently. CUC of crabs and snails. It's near a window but not getting any direct sunlight.
Indirect sunlight will cause issues also as UV rays are strong

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You running your lights for 16 hrs per day?

I'm a fan of Vibrant, but I hesitate recommending it to a relatively new reefer with a newish tank. But it's an option.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures of the diatoms/cyano/hair algae? It may be helpful for id'ing. You may actually have an issue with nutrients being too low. Some things actually thrive in a low nutrient environment.

What lights/hood do you have? I am also curious if you have tested the ammonia/nitrite recently.

Also, have you calibrated your refractometer recently?
Here are some pics of what I think is cyano. Sometimes it looks like cyano and sometimes just bad diatoms.

IMG_20200907_174635811.jpg IMG_20200907_174653897.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'll try and keep the blinds closed near the tank or maybe move the tank to another spot.
Even black construction paper from walmart would be an ideal blocker especially at 92 cents

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of what I think is cyano. Sometimes it looks like cyano and sometimes just bad diatoms.

That doesn't look that bad to me. I'm not sure I'd move my tank over that. You might want to consider some more sand dwelling critters in your tank. They can get it turned over a bit more and break up some of the gunk that forms on the bottom. I typically have patches that look liek that in my tank, but over all, by guys are pretty good at breaking it up.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, here's two videos that may help. I'd say you're still in the step 1 phase for the cyano. Would you mind posting some pictures of the corals?

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look that bad to me. I'm not sure I'd move my tank over that. You might want to consider some more sand dwelling critters in your tank. They can get it turned over a bit more and break up some of the gunk that forms on the bottom. I typically have patches that look liek that in my tank, but over all, by guys are pretty good at breaking it up.
[/QUOT

It doesnt look too bad there but thats after pulling back the lights and not long after a water change. I'll post some coral pics tomorrow. I have a ton of hermits and snails. I also have to nasarius snails but they don't seem to do much to the sand. I just got a rainfords goby. he's tiny now but picks around at the sand. I'm hoping he helps. Also the algae seems to mainly be an issue on the rocks and back wall. I just dont know what i should do? try removing as much as i can and wait it out? or? Thanks again for all the advice btw!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big_Mclargehuge a few more narcissus may help with the sand. I also have some bumble bee snails, but thy are predators. I do not think the rainsford is a great sand sifter normally, but each has their own quirks. Basically, you need someone constantly messing with the sand to keep it looking clean more often. You might could go the route of a sand sifting star as well.

If your critters are not taking care of it on the rocks, you can either get more/different ones or wait it out. You should eventually have things like coraline that are outcompeting it for the space. It's not pretty, but it too shall pass.

Essentially, when you diversify your CUC more, you increase the chances of different kinds of nuisance algae being removed in different locations. I always keep an eye out for new kinds of snails in my LFS stores and buy a handful if I ever see any. So, I don't actively seek them out, but I do always check.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back