Getting into SPS and don't know what's wrong

Discordian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for about 8 months. All my corals (that aren't SPS) are doing great! Hammers, zoas, chalace, favia, torch, acans, lobo, avelopora, and a duncan are all doing great. But every time I add an SPS coral it dies fairly quickly. I added a purple stylo that made it about a month. Two montis started dieing pretty much as soon as I put them in. And two digis died in a week or two. I feel like my parameters are pretty on point and stable so I'm at a loss for what I am doing wrong. What could it be? What should I do? How can I keep SPS alive? What am I doing wrong? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Am I just unlucky?

Parameters:
Salinity: 35ppt
Nitrate: 2ppm
Phosphate: .02ppm
Alkalinity: 8.2
Calcium: 410
Magnesium: 1500

I test nitrate and phosphate weekly and alkalinity about 2x per week (recently started dosing with a doser). My alkalinity has been between 8 and 8.5 for months.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too low of nutrients IMO. Both of your values are very close to 0 for Nitrate and Phosphate.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock & sand.
Probably not mature enough. Takes quite a bit longer without live rock. I used 7 year old rock from a sump. Started adding SPS frags in 2 weeks. This is just over a year later. Sure I had the usual pests but with patience, none now.

E0DBD35D-367A-40ED-A3CB-8123045A6318.jpeg

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water chemistry is fine. No need to dose N/P.

Check flow (random, different directions, average at least 10 cm/second) and lighting (200+ PAR) around the spot where the SPS is.

purple stylo that made it about a month

This is one of the easiest SPS corals, maybe easier than birdsnest. The month time frame is enough time for the coral to consume its zooxanthellae and then run out of energy and die. This suggests lack of light.

The suggestion to wait for your tank to mature is a very good one. Give it another month and try another frag of purple stylo. Take pictures every day and keep track of growth and poylp extension. It should be stressed out for a week or so, then start to encrust at the base and develop a nice white growth tip on each branch. If this happens, it's getting good light and flow.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back