Getting quality Fish in NYC area

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I been in this hobby for over a decade and have a really really hard time finding a LFS that sell quality fish. Any one know a store in the NYC/ Long Island area that QT'S fish for you?

OP
OP
S

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about Salgado and Manhattan, both have a negative reputation concerning quality of fish. But I did hear the AMA is good. I'm looking for a place that would qt fish for you before you put in your system. Any ideas?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about Salgado and Manhattan, both have a negative reputation concerning quality of fish. But I did hear the AMA is good. I'm looking for a place that would qt fish for you before you put in your system. Any ideas?
What have you heard about either one that makes you think that?

OP
OP
S

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I personally purchased fish from Manhattan and they died within a few weeks even though I had excellent parameters and all the other inhabitants including fish were okay. Salgado I have never purchased anything from- I know he had a shop in the BX and now he's in upstate. I read some reviews on google that were negative.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased fish from both MA and Salgado without issues. Salgado aquatics personally delivered to me as well, I thought that was really nice. If you're looking for Pre-qt fish then consider tsmaquatics and have them ship. I can't confirm of any shops here that offer these services.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Advanced Marine Aquatics fan here. Have been in hobby fir decades, this is the best i’v seen

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manhattan has poor selection for reef fish; if you have a car, Absolutely Fish in Clifton NJ is the place to go, or perhaps House of Fins in CT. I have seen the House of Fins maintenance vans in SOHO so they probably can deliver to you if you are willing to pay for it.

I like the guys at Manhattan Aquariums but would not recommend their fish.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely encourage you to follow suite with what the others have said. I would rather you choose a more reputable place like Ama and not have headaches! Follow up and let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
S

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never purchased fish from POTO before but everything I got from them coral and inverts are excellent. They just don't have much selection of fish. ever. lol

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manhattan has poor selection for reef fish; if you have a car, Absolutely Fish in Clifton NJ is the place to go, or perhaps House of Fins in CT. I have seen the House of Fins maintenance vans in SOHO so they probably can deliver to you if you are willing to pay for it.

I like the guys at Manhattan Aquariums but would not recommend their fish.
House of Fins is a quality LFS, but be prepared to pay for the pleasure. And I mean a lot. Prices are like triple what I see elsewhere.

Not trying to be negative in any way. They’re knowledgeable and high quality, just really, really expensive.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House of Fins is a quality LFS, but be prepared to pay for the pleasure. And I mean a lot. Prices are like triple what I see elsewhere.

Not trying to be negative in any way. They’re knowledgeable and high quality, just really, really expensive.
Interesting; I have not been there in many years but their prices were usually pretty competitive. That is a shame they have gone up so much. They always had the rare stuff and their fish were always healthy. Had a huge tank about 15 years ago stocked with fish only from that store; never lost a single fish from them.

I have been to POTO before; they have I think three tanks with fish only setups, and they don't quarantine unfortunately. Great place for frags though!

OP
OP
S

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw yes this hobby is a killer. But I rather spend a bit more for quality
but yes tsouth will definitely keep you guys updated.

OP
OP
S

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting; I have not been there in many years but their prices were usually pretty competitive. That is a shame they have gone up so much. They always had the rare stuff and their fish were always healthy. Had a huge tank about 15 years ago stocked with fish only from that store; never lost a single fish from them.

I have been to POTO before; they have I think three tanks with fish only setups, and they don't quarantine unfortunately. Great place for frags though!
Not any more, lol; the guy said he sold the whole setup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back