getting rbta to host my snowflakes

  • Thread starter Thread starter 120REEF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

120REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have 2 very good sized rbta and a pair of S.A. snowflake clowns bonded pair of adults. They show zero interest in either anemone just looking for some pointers to maybe get them to take to it. Thanks
 
I hear if you put the clowns and the Rbta in a bucket ( with a heater ) they will host in there and when back in tank will go right to it
 
Time is the best chioce --- IMO/E.

I, personally, am not a fan of putting non hosting clowns in a confined space with an anemone --- it is a good way to end up with eaten clowns.

The main issue here is that an E. quadricolor is not a natural host anemone for your clowns, so it will take longer compared to if you had an S. gigantea (( for example )).
 
+1 on time. How long have they been in the tank together? Mine took about 3 mths.
 
They have been together for 6 to 7 months which is why I am getting frustrated lol
 
Give it time. I have hybrid clowns as well. I have had them since they were very very small (smallest I have ever had or seen). It took a while for them to pair. I've had them a year now. They were moved to a 40 breeder over the summer, I added my RTBA last september. My clowns started hosting it out of nowhere after about 2 months. Then the anemone split and they played in both!!!!! It is cool to watch. Give it time :)
 
Mine never hosted, Had them together about 1 1/2 years. Sold the nems after they split a few times.
 
Took my tan bred picassos(which had never even seen an anemone their their short lives) about ten minutes to hop in the nem, I would just let them figure it out themselves
 
I have always had luck using the strainer trick.. float the strainer in the tank w the nem and clowns in it.. it always works for me in about a day.. done it 3 or 4 times ( it's a good idea to either lower your light intensity or cover strainer with some old acrylic to prevent light shock with the nem.. but I have done it without as well).. since I have so many nems I can't keep any clownfish that won't host! lol
 
Tried flashlight no success only thing I haven't tried is confine them and don't really want to do that these were fairly expensive fish don't want them to become a meal lol

Try the flashlight trick!!!
 
I should also add, couldn't wait for my clowns to host, now I have trouble feeding my BTA. My female protects it, and "fans" through it after I feed it, most of the time knocking the food out of its reach. I have to keep the clown away until the anemone until it has eaten..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new