Getting Rid of Vermitid Snails

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've had vermitid snails in my system for a few months. Normally I do a sweep of pinching the shells with tongs off the rock every few weeks, especially when I see them close to my coral.

Is there any other method to keep vermitid snails at bay or eradicate them? Perhaps a natural predator?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've had vermitid snails in my system for a few months. Normally I do a sweep of pinching the shells with tongs off the rock every few weeks, especially when I see them close to my coral.

Is there any other method to keep vermitid snails at bay or eradicate them? Perhaps a natural predator?
Some evidence shows that Trapezia crabs will protect the corals they live in from Vermitids.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-010-0663-9

If I break the stem off, my cleaner shrimp will eat them. He loves them, but he can't get to them without help. I've seen where some people say that their emerald crabs eat vermitids, but not sure I put much faith in that.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No preds that I'm aware of. Ive had the little ones and they are too bad. The big ones are a pain. The ol smash and scrape provode short term relief.

If you feel like you must intervene more you may try to reduce free floating particulates (more mechanical filtration) or outcompete with other suspension feeders (e.g. featherdusters, sponges and of course corals).

They usually go away for me with time...

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No preds that I'm aware of. Ive had the little ones and they are too bad. The big ones are a pain. The ol smash and scrape provode short term relief.

If you feel like you must intervene more you may try to reduce free floating particulates (more mechanical filtration) or outcompete with other suspension feeders (e.g. featherdusters, sponges and of course corals).

They usually go away for me with time...

Right now my tank is fallow. I recently started dosing nitrates to bring values above 0. I have a hard time believing it's free floating particles, but it's possible. Fallow ends on the 23rd of this week :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a dosing recommendation to use it on Vermitids?

There's actually no dosing recommendations at all. Basically shake well, pour in enough to make your tank milky. The skimmer will suck it out and it binds to anything floating in your water and gets skimmed out.

I made mine in a gatorade bottle, and dosed approximately 2-3 gatorade lids worth... lol

I CAN say, dose often.. Dose every 2-3 days to starve out Vermatids

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's actually no dosing recommendations at all. Basically shake well, pour in enough to make your tank milky. The skimmer will suck it out and it binds to anything floating in your water and gets skimmed out.

I made mine in a gatorade bottle, and dosed approximately 2-3 gatorade lids worth... lol

I CAN say, dose often.. Dose every 2-3 days to starve out Vermatids

Is there a thread that discusses the use of that product against these snails? I checked the thread you linked, but the search option didn't find any reference to snails or vermitid.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I'm one of the only people that have used it for this, but those I know who've tried it have had success. It was basically a happy accident.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I'm one of the only people that have used it for this, but those I know who've tried it have had success. It was basically a happy accident.

Can you link me the powder/site you purchased this from? So you followed that threads instructions of dosing 1ml per 25 gallon?

What exactly is the science behind this? Is it binding together with particulates in the water and -- tied in with a skimmer -- is skimmed out?

Thanks for your help!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several growing into and through the tissue of a setosa monti. No way to get them out without taking a bunch of host tissue with them. I tried skewering deep down into their tubes with thin stiff wires, but somehow they survived that. Then I superglued their tubes shut, that stopped them, and now the setosa is slowly starting to grow back over them.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the best prices one I could find on Amazon. It's literally just chalk powder, and it's the same thing KZ sells for $50 a small bottle.

I probably used about 5ml per 25 gallons, maybe more.. You can't overdose this stuff unless you pour in a bottle of it. It separates in the bottle, so it's really hard to get in a syringe hence the gatorade cap!

Yes, it binds with anything floating in the water and gets skimmed out. It's very effective.

Vermatids die from starvation -- I'm not sure if they have eyes, or just sense stuff in the water. Either way, they cast their mucus nets out when you dose. They catch the chalk, pull it in and start eating it, then struggle to get rid of the mucus net. You dose this every few days, or even every day... And they starve out. Some may die from trying to eat the chalk.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the best prices one I could find on Amazon. It's literally just chalk powder, and it's the same thing KZ sells for $50 a small bottle.

I probably used about 5ml per 25 gallons, maybe more.. You can't overdose this stuff unless you pour in a bottle of it. It separates in the bottle, so it's really hard to get in a syringe hence the gatorade cap!

Yes, it binds with anything floating in the water and gets skimmed out. It's very effective.

Vermatids die from starvation -- I'm not sure if they have eyes, or just sense stuff in the water. Either way, they cast their mucus nets out when you dose. They catch the chalk, pull it in and start eating it, then struggle to get rid of the mucus net. You dose this every few days, or even every day... And they starve out. Some may die from trying to eat the chalk.

This is perfect. Will any calcium carbonate do, or does it have to have a specific concentration %? (e.g. This one from Amazon?)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how long approximately you think it took your tank?

I honestly didn't pay attention, because I wasn't trying to kill them. I was just dosing to see if it would make my water crystal clear as it's supposed to. Without having paid attention, I could guess a month or so.

EDIT: I can say several people in my club confirmed it worked for them as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back