Getting Rid of Vermitid Snails

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's actually no dosing recommendations at all. Basically shake well, pour in enough to make your tank milky. The skimmer will suck it out and it binds to anything floating in your water and gets skimmed out.

I made mine in a gatorade bottle, and dosed approximately 2-3 gatorade lids worth... lol

I CAN say, dose often.. Dose every 2-3 days to starve out Vermatids
No negative impact on corals or clams? Spot feeding to get through it?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good!

You'll have to use a bit more than I did but a pound of the stuff should last awhile regardless!

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie

The snow is interesting, but from what I read in the other thread and this is the snow gets removed via skimming and mechanical filtration. What if there are dead spots in the DT or sump and it settles? Still won't affect CA/MG/ALK? Will it break down eventually? I'm not asserting it would - just asking my ignorant question!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is critical for this to work, and for vermatids to eat. It would settle and may break down, but I hadn't notice it augmenting any parameters.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, a Melanurus Wrasse (or others of the same genus) will pick them off of the rocks, so long as they are the small kinds with the little protruding tubes. My tank is Halichoeres dominiant, and I can see them eat the vermitids every now and then. You can hear a little snap as they break the shell from the rock. I only have a few left in the unreachable crevices of my rockwork.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie

The snow is interesting, but from what I read in the other thread and this is the snow gets removed via skimming and mechanical filtration. What if there are dead spots in the DT or sump and it settles? Still won't affect CA/MG/ALK? Will it break down eventually? I'm not asserting it would - just asking my ignorant question!
It shouldn't break down. CaCO3 is basically limestone. Another thing it is the main component of is coral skeleton. As long as you don't have conditions in your tank that would dissolve rock or coral it should stay inert.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a product, used in organic agriculture to control slugs and snails, that could be efficient to control vermetid: Ferric phosphate.

The trademark of the product is Ferramol® Organic, but for the purpose of experimentation I believe that the use of saturated GFO may be attempted by the aquarist. Ideally, the saturated GFO should be dry and ground by dosing the product on the display when the vermetid are with their nets extended to ensure they can ingest it, and then wait for the results.

There is no defined dose to use for this purpose. Caution is required.

The mechanism of action is explained here: The potential for slug control with ferric phosphate

It seems to be safe for animals except slugs and snails.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an FYI, I ordered some CaCO3 yesterday to give it a try. Expect to see a write up on how effective it was on my Vermitids around 5 weeks from now. ;Bookworm;Writing

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie @Brew12

I received my CaCO3 today, mixed up a batch of 5 tablespoons to 230ml RODI water, and dosed 1ml/25g water.

IMG_20180826_144124_91.jpg

IMG_20180826_143727_65.jpg

IMG_20180826_143801_66.jpg

IMG_20180826_143817_83.jpg

Updates to follow!

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an FYI, I ordered some CaCO3 yesterday to give it a try. Expect to see a write up on how effective it was on my Vermitids around 5 weeks from now.

Drop a Link here please - if of course @Byronyk doesn't mind (OP Blessing!). Thanks for answering my ignorant question earlier!

Also thanks @Byronyk for your recent follow up + Pics!

I don't even have these jokers(vermitids) anymore. They eventually just went away. I'm in my first struggle w/ Aiptasia and tiny valonian (bubble agea). I managed to go ~10 years in the hobby without ever seeing either one in any of my tanks. I blame some tainted chaeto for bringing these jerks in(If I ever start a reefing rock band it'll be named 'Tainted Chaeto"). Frustrating, but I will eventually win!!!!!111one

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie @Brew12

I received my CaCO3 today, mixed up a batch of 5 tablespoons to 230ml RODI water, and dosed 1ml/25g water.

IMG_20180826_144124_91.jpg

IMG_20180826_143727_65.jpg

IMG_20180826_143801_66.jpg

IMG_20180826_143817_83.jpg

Updates to follow!
Fantastic! Mine doesn't get here until Thursday. Looks like you have a larger size variety than mine. Lets see if we can prove this is effective!

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic! Mine doesn't get here until Thursday. Looks like you have a larger size variety than mine. Lets see if we can prove this is effective!

I'm hoping it works. While I can pinch them with tongs now, eventually when my sps grows out it will be hard to kill them and avoid accidentally fragging the colonies lol.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop a Link here please - if of course @Byronyk doesn't mind (OP Blessing!). Thanks for answering my ignorant question earlier!

Also thanks @Byronyk for your recent follow up + Pics!

I don't even have these jokers(vermitids) anymore. They eventually just went away. I'm in my first struggle w/ Aiptasia and tiny valonian (bubble agea). I managed to go ~10 years in the hobby without ever seeing either one in any of my tanks. I blame some tainted chaeto for bringing these jerks in(If I ever start a reefing rock band it'll be named 'Tainted Chaeto"). Frustrating, but I will eventually win!!!!!111one

The more information on this subject the better. Feel free to drop a link!

I'll eventually make a full video on my channel discussion this topic.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a minor update, I tested alk this morning (hanna checker, not usual as I usually test in the late afternoon) and my normal 8.0 was reading 7.7. This isn't a huge fluctuation, but I'm curious if using this CaCO3 solution has the ability to reduce alk/calc?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a minor update, I tested alk this morning (hanna checker, not usual as I usually test in the late afternoon) and my normal 8.0 was reading 7.7. This isn't a huge fluctuation, but I'm curious if using this CaCO3 solution has the ability to reduce alk/calc?
Not at the pH of a reef tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this a bit more. I believe that doing this could cause an increase in alk/calc if you run a calcium reactor. Something for those who use them to keep in mind.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back