Getting Rid of Vermitid Snails

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aaron-A2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Any news?

Here's a list of animals suggested in this thread and others about Vermetid snails:
-Emerald crabs
-Bumble bee snails
-Halichoeres wrasses
-Muricid snails
-Morula Uva - snails

Since we've got a lot of Vermetid snails growing and distubing the corals(mostly the frags) in our propagation tanks, I think I will try to order what I can find and try in different tanks.
Please let me know if you have any input or any more suggestions on predators. Thanks!

/ David
 
Interestingly enough my Vermitids wen't away without my trying to do anything to make it happen. All of my efforts to get rid of these things didn't work but now they are gone. The only thing I can think also correlated to the time they died off was that I added a bunch of peppermint shrimp. The only other thing I can think of is that I raised my magnesium to around 1650ppm to try and combat an algae issue. If I had to guess, this is most likely what got rid of them but it is purely speculation.
 
Any news?

Here's a list of animals suggested in this thread and others about Vermetid snails:
-Emerald crabs
-Bumble bee snails
-Halichoeres wrasses
-Muricid snails
-Morula Uva - snails

Since we've got a lot of Vermetid snails growing and distubing the corals(mostly the frags) in our propagation tanks, I think I will try to order what I can find and try in different tanks.
Please let me know if you have any input or any more suggestions on predators. Thanks!

/ David

I cant say my bumblebee snails ever ate a vermitid. They occasionally predate on other snails, not often but if say i am away 2 days and tank isnt fed, i usually find a dead red band, one I witnessed them actively eating while alive. Very tempted to remove them tbh.

Annecodotal but since maintaining silica levels above 0 i have increased pineapple sponges and 0 new vermitids. But not saying one is necessarily tied to the other this could just as likely be happenstance.
 
Any news?

Here's a list of animals suggested in this thread and others about Vermetid snails:
-Emerald crabs
-Bumble bee snails
-Halichoeres wrasses
-Muricid snails
-Morula Uva - snails

Since we've got a lot of Vermetid snails growing and distubing the corals(mostly the frags) in our propagation tanks, I think I will try to order what I can find and try in different tanks.
Please let me know if you have any input or any more suggestions on predators. Thanks!

/ David
Going down your list one by one, based on my personal experience:

Emerald Crabs - Had them from time to time for Bubble Algae removal. They ate the bubble algae, but showed no inclination to go for the Vermetids.
Bumble Bee snails - No practical experience with them. I noticed that my LFS is carrying them and was thinking about getting a few, until I found out they have a taste for Astreas.
Halichores Wrasses - Have a Melanuras in my tank for 2 years now. It did polish off the red Planaria I had but has shown no interest in the Vermetids.
Muricid & Morula Uva snails - Have no practical experience with either of them.Would be interested to find out more about theses critters.
 
Interestingly enough my Vermitids wen't away without my trying to do anything to make it happen. All of my efforts to get rid of these things didn't work but now they are gone. The only thing I can think also correlated to the time they died off was that I added a bunch of peppermint shrimp. The only other thing I can think of is that I raised my magnesium to around 1650ppm to try and combat an algae issue. If I had to guess, this is most likely what got rid of them but it is purely speculation.
Lucky you.
I doubt the elevated MG was a factor since I had unintentionally raised my Mag levels to well over 1600 PPM and although it seemed to make my snails and and crabs a bit sluggish it did nothing to my Vermetid population.
Peppermint Shrimp? Maybe I'll give it a try
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new