Getting the ions right: Do you dose magnesium?

Do you dose magnesium?

• Yes, I currently dose magnesium

Votes: 236 60.4%
  • No, I do not currently dose magnesium

Votes: 92 23.5%
  • I have not dosed magnesium

Votes: 53 13.6%
  • What’s magnesium?

Votes: 10 2.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Magnesium helps with the balance of alkalinity and calcium, supports the health and growth of our corals, limits calcium carbonate precipitation, and more. One recommendation is to keep the magnesium levels between 1250 and 1350 although that may vary slightly. When trying to dial in your magnesium level, do you dose magnesium? Any tips to share on getting the magnesium correct in your reef tank? Let us know your thoughts on magnesium and any tips that you would like to share in the following discussion thread.

FugeTown_Magnesium.jpeg

Photo by @FugeTown

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose All For Reef which has a magnesium in it. I also boost it separately from time to time because it seems to fall even with the All For Reef dosage needed to maintain alkalinity. That's not a complaint. It's just the way it works in my tank.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did just soda ash/ calcium chloride, I also dosed magnesium (brs mix) I did a small daily dose of magnesium.

when I added the tropic Marin a and k trace, and the part c to my regimen, I stopped the mag dose as it seems to be included in that mix.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mg kit. My tank doesn't consume enough Mg to need dosing. I do roughly 4% weekly water changes.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose AF 1+2+3+ using the recommended ratios. Been pondering bumping up the amount of mag in my mix as I have been hearing a lot about LPS liking elevated mag

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started keeping my mag at 1500 after watching a YouTube video from fragbox tv about 2 years ago to help with my euphylias. It worked like a charm and I’ve kept it at that level since. My frogspawn and hammers reacted to a point that they were almost invasive. I don’t understand the science but I can’t argue about the results. I also keep my 13,5 gallon at 1500
54214070-0DBC-48F0-BC84-178140B0AFF6.jpeg

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't dose mag, per se. i have a secondary media chamber on my CaRx with dolomite that I run the effluent through for off gassing and raising the ph before dripping back into the sump. It keeps mag in range.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mg is mixed with Ca in Reef Fusion 2 part. I know lots of people hate seachem reef fusion, but it works great for my sps tank. My other tanks get regular water changes to keep elements up, and nitrates down.

PensacolaReefKeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose mag, per se. i have a secondary media chamber on my CaRx with dolomite that I run the effluent through for off gassing and raising the ph before dripping back into the sump. It keeps mag in range.
You sir sound like a chemical engineer. Would like to hear about your water management strategy

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started keeping my mag at 1500 after watching a YouTube video from fragbox tv about 2 years ago to help with my euphylias. It worked like a charm and I’ve kept it at that level since. My frogspawn and hammers reacted to a point that they were almost invasive. I don’t understand the science but I can’t argue about the results. I also keep my 13,5 gallon at 1500
54214070-0DBC-48F0-BC84-178140B0AFF6.jpeg
Increased growth? Coloration? Or both?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Magnesium helps with the balance of alkalinity and calcium, supports the health and growth of our corals, limits calcium carbonate precipitation, and more. One recommendation is to keep the magnesium levels between 1250 and 1350 although that may vary slightly. When trying to dial in your magnesium level, do you dose magnesium? Any tips to share on getting the magnesium correct in your reef tank? Let us know your thoughts on magnesium and any tips that you would like to share in the following discussion thread.

FugeTown_Magnesium.jpeg

Photo by @FugeTown
Technically, one should dose magnesium with every gallon of use of BRS 2 part (at least I think thats the case) - a mix of MgCl and a mix of MgSO4. Since I tend to do enough water changes - I have just let it be. Mg is important in preventing precipitation of Ca and PO4 with dosing - so if you're dosing I might be more careful. Of course - the fish etc also require it - but its present in such high concentrations its unlikely to cause a deficiency in the livestock (fish)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, magnesium is consumed at most at about 1/10th of the rate of calcium consumption. Coralline causes a ratio that high. Some corals give a much lower ratio.

Thus, if you aren't dosing a lot of calcium, and especially if you do substantial water changes with a higher magnesium concentration, it may take a very long time to need to dose magnesium.

Many calcium and alk methods incorporate some amount of magneisum somehow, but it may not be enough depending on the organism mix in the aqaurium.

I used limewater (kalkwasser) which does not deliver magnesium, so I boosted the magnesium in the normal IO I used for automatic water changes, rather than ever dosing it directly to the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, one should dose magnesium with every gallon of use of BRS 2 part (at least I think thats the case) - a mix of MgCl and a mix of MgSO4. Since I tend to do enough water changes - I have just let it be. Mg is important in preventing precipitation of Ca and PO4 with dosing - so if you're dosing I might be more careful. Of course - the fish etc also require it - but its present in such high concentrations its unlikely to cause a deficiency in the livestock (fish)

Just to add that one reason to dose it independent of "need" is that such a mix maintains the chloride/sulfate balance, and by not dosing it, chloride will rise over time and sulfate will fall.

IMO, using Balling Part C is an even better option than that third part.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalkwasser every night which has no mag my coralline algae growth is out of control so I have to dose mag...
Will that ever taper off?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You sir sound like a chemical engineer. Would like to hear about your water management strategy
Nope. I have a background in the hard sciences (biology and chemistry), but am a social scientist. As for water management, what would you like to know? The term is fairly broad.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the magnesium needs to be as stable as calcium and alkalinity, but I too like it near 1500 in an LPS heavy system. For this reason I keep magnesium in my ATO water and use kalk on a doser instead.
I've been doing the same, doser for kalk, week's supply mag in ato.

Back