Getting vinyl tubing onto a barb fitting

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with this for a while and have gone through several feet of tubing trying to get this.

I am trying to get 3/4 (ID) clear vinyl tubing onto 3/4 barb fittings. I get it over maybe the second barb and literally can get no further. I've tried heating the end, it gets too malleable and there's no leverage to push it on to the fitting.

I also tried using a pair of vice grips to hold onto the widest point while I twist the barb into the tube, this obviously gnarls the tubing and only gets me one more barb before the tubing starts to twist.

I'm frustrated with this and I refuse to believe this is meant to be this hard.

An additional note, this is a zero water pressure installation. This tube will be running vertically next to my RODI and my Salt brute bins to give me a spot to mark volume and verify what I've got on hand.

How many barbs, realistically, do I need to get into this tube? Can I just use butter :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I also have some stainless hose clamps to fit over this assembly if needed.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried boiling some water and dipping the hose into that before inserting the barb?

If you don't mind my asking (I have not tried this) what would that achieve versus using a heat gun which I've tried already?

Genuinely curious, I will be trying this next either way lol

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sounds crazy but will work. Just heat a cup of water in microwave and hold end of tube in the water 20-30 seconds. A little spit on the barb couldn’t hurt either!

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sounds crazy but will work. Just heat a cup of water in microwave and hold end of tube in the water 20-30 seconds. A little spit on the barb couldn’t hurt either!
Welp that pretty much worked. First go was a bust, I put to much in the heated water so was all floppy but tried again with just about 1/2" in the water for a bit and got it over all the barbs.

Much appreciated

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp that pretty much worked. First go was a bust, I put to much in the heated water so was all floppy but tried again with just about 1/2" in the water for a bit and got it over all the barbs.

Much appreciated
Happy to help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%

Back