Getting your reef "in the zone"

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I am curious what your experience is getting your reef to your ideal parameters and how long it stays there before you inevitably need to adjust or fiddle with dosing / water changes etc... I realize that this will vary from tank to tank but just curious what you are experiencing. From my own reef (250g mixed and starting to add more SPS) I feel like there are a few weeks that params are stable and then inevitably things start to drift a bit and need correcting either due to consumption or the cause of something else that seems unrelated (lighting schedule change, battling Dinos etc..). I'm trying to balance wanting to micromanage every minor param swing as sometimes being hyper reactive has caused more problems than letting things settle back down, particularly early on when I was first starting to use the Neptune Trident. Let me know your thoughts and tips / tricks! Cheers!

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 0 help at all but I got two micro reefs a 10g and a 20g. If something goes wrong in a tank that size it’s way less forgiving then a larger tank. So I started by doing my daily doses every morning. Testing on a specific day, usually every Thursday unless I suspect an issue, and I make salt water in a separate bucket that my 60g wouldn’t need and dose that with supplements. That way when I take supplements out I’m adding some back in. You have to do math so you don’t overload but now my micros are thriving. I also found products suited for my needs my micros get nano reef by Kent and my 60g gets reef fusion 1/2 and whatever’s needed to maintain that.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have to admit, I am very hands off even with a KISS system. While battling some briopsis recently in my 40g, I had to treat and then treat for cyano, but it is balancing nicely now after a month. My 6g, I just do a 100% water change when it is having any algae issues (on the glass). I have never had issues with hair algae or briopsis in that tank for some reason. Weird after 6+years.

My 210g only had issues for the first year after setting it up into the second year. Hair algae. I have had that fixed for a while now and aside from the occasional cyano, it runs itself. I rarely do any changes aside from normal maintenance.

Basically, I have not done testing in years. I do not run a sps any longer though. My lps system is great and my softie system is great too. I have clams though, so do keep stable conditions.

I feed, water changes as needed, check all is working on the Ca rx, Carbon Rx, UAS and good to go. I clean the sides at least once a week. I will try to get pics of the lps system. Here are some of the 210, 6g and the corals in the 40g/20g.

Attachments

• cepastrea blue.jpg
    cepastrea blue.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 22
  • cepastrea purple green.jpg
    cepastrea purple green.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 18
  • favia.jpg
    favia.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 22
  • favia3.jpg
    favia3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 22
  • lobo 12-18.jpg
    lobo 12-18.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 17
  • neon candy canes.jpg
    neon candy canes.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Orange favia.jpg
    Orange favia.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 20
  • pink favia.jpg
    pink favia.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Purple Merlettis.jpg
    Purple Merlettis.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 22
  • teal candy canes2.jpg
    teal candy canes2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 18

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have to admit, I am very hands off even with a KISS system. While battling some briopsis recently in my 40g, I had to treat and then treat for cyano, but it is balancing nicely now after a month. My 6g, I just do a 100% water change when it is having any algae issues (on the glass). I have never had issues with hair algae or briopsis in that tank for some reason. Weird after 6+years.

My 210g only had issues for the first year after setting it up into the second year. Hair algae. I have had that fixed for a while now and aside from the occasional cyano, it runs itself. I rarely do any changes aside from normal maintenance.

Basically, I have not done testing in years. I do not run a sps any longer though. My lps system is great and my softie system is great too. I have clams though, so do keep stable conditions.

I feed, water changes as needed, check all is working on the Ca rx, Carbon Rx, UAS and good to go. I clean the sides at least once a week. I will try to get pics of the lps system. Here are some of the 210, 6g and the corals in the 40g/20g.

You have some seriously beautiful tanks! That 6g is awesome!!! I thrive for that in my micros! The 250g is just as stunning! Thanks for the share going to show my fiancé as she just started her tank and is getting discouraged with her micro! Great share!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. ;Shamefullyembarrased I love the little tanks. I always start with live rock for them. This makes a huge difference. I have set some up on and off as I feel like it. :)

The one in the video is a traveling tank (bring to show kids at outreach programs) and it has been in this particular form about 1-2 years.
Hard to explain, as i have kept the 6g over 6 years, but I put different corals an animals in it as I want for the programs. This one has been this way as I said for over a year now. I love it.

OP
OP
Jdzzl03

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DeniseAndy you have an awesome setup! Yeah I try to follow KISS method but when I first setup the Trident I found myself constantly second guessing myself and trying to correct things on a daily basis even though my corals looked and seemed perfectly happy, which led to other weird problems like Dinos when my nutrients bottomed out. Moving forward I'm working on the test twice (or several times over a few days), dose once methodology vs reacting to every Neptune alert. Going from a 75g to 250g has been an adventure for sure getting things dialed in.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to admit, I have been doing reefs for over 19 years and began with fish only almost 28 years ago. So, you get the knack of things. :)

Back