GFCI false trip with UPS - Is there a better way to do this?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a CyperPower PFC Sinewave UPS with two GFCI cords connecting my Apex energy bars to the UPS. For the second time in two months I've had the whole thing go down, both GFCI cords tripping simultaneously. Particularly given that there isn't even any equipment connected to the second Apex energy bar, it would seem safe to assume this to be a false trip, and hitting the reset on both GFCI cords brings everything back up as if nothing happened.

My gut tells me the trip is originating from the UPS somehow. The UPS is relatively new, shows as fully charged and not overloaded.

Just to add, the UPS has successfully kicked in, protecting the tank from a number of power bumps over the summer (I live in a very rural area so it's not unusual), so it does seem to be functioning as expected but it seems as if every now and then something happens with it that's unexpected. Needless to say having the whole system lose power defeats the purpose of the UPS.

I'm wondering if maybe I should be shifting my GFCI protection further along and use a series of GFCI outlets connected to the Apex instead? I really should just suck it up and get a whole home generator but I chose instead to put in a new driveway as this year's project lol.

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a CyberPower UPS that tripped all the time too and I ended up getting rid of it. It was more likely for it to fail and cut power to my tank while I was away than for the power to go out and the UPS keep everything going.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an issue no matter which side of the UPS the GFCI is on? I was under the impression this was when the UPS is plugged into a GFCI rather than a GFCI plugged into a UPS?
The article examines gfci upstream of ups. But my understanding is this nulls the gfci effectiveness as ups isolates power.
So you want the gfci after the ups.
The filtering that causes the trips may be on both sides of the ups.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article examines gfci upstream of ups. But my understanding is this nulls the gfci effectiveness as ups isolates power.
So you want the gfci after the ups.
The filtering that causes the trips may be on both sides of the ups.

Well that sucks, and there I thought I'd found a way around the UPS/GFCI issue. Thanks for the info!

This is what my setup looks like. UPS directly to a standard wall socket and the GFCI cords from the battery to the Apex energy bars. So for anyone looking, this is not a reliable setup. :(

power.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back