GFCI with a UPS

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything used a wall GFCI with a UPS? My big question is will the GFCI flip when there is a fault on something like a pump? I just wonder if the UPS will stop the GFCI from flipping since the UPS definitely does power conditioning as far as I know. My worry is a bare copper wire sizzling in the tank if insulation breaks, spilling copper in the water. Sure the GFCI would flip but the UPS would still be providing power for hours.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a UPS flip a GFCI. Address what issue? I am not having an issue I am just wondering if a UPS will stop the GFCI from flipping when there is a fault.
From my understanding, it will not. The issue I see is whether the ups will shut down in the presence of a fault, or continue to supply power to the faulty load.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, it will not. The issue I see is whether the ups will shut down in the presence of a fault, or continue to supply power to the faulty load.

I also just found this thread talking about it.

The article examines gfci upstream of ups. But my understanding is this nulls the gfci effectiveness as ups isolates power.
So you want the gfci after the ups.
The filtering that causes the trips may be on both sides of the ups.

What you linked in your first response is mentioned in that thread, so my apologies.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, never had a problem with my UPS flipping the GFCI but I also do not want the UPS providing power to device that is leaking voltage. I mean the GFCI could do it's job and flip but power is still provided via the UPS, unlikely but unlikely has happened to me recently. I am not sure what the solution is other than to put the GFCI past the UPS but that would mean two, one of the devices on the battery side and one on the non-battery side.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back