GFO after RO/DI unit? Filtration experts needed!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay filtration experts, I'm posing this question if anyone has ran a chamber for GFO down stream of your RO/DI unit after your last DI chamber? Reason? Silica!

As we know, silica is negatively charged in a PH between 3 and 8 and is attracted by anion hydroxide resins, either in a mixed bed or a Anion bed. When nearing depletion, the resin starts to release Si back into the water. I think I got that right, correct me if im wrong. Lol

My theory is if you used a bed of GFO down stream, wouldn't this catch this any Si released?

Anyone do this? Is it overkill?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will works - but.....

IMO it is more than overkill if you have an incoming water with low or moderate content of Si. As fast as your water will come in contact with your stones and/or gravel - there will be Si in the water. The fear for Si content in the RO water is - IMO - very exaggerated. Triton set point in seawater is 100 microgram/l. Many marine invertebrates - like sponges - need some Si in the water. IME - snails and some other shell building animals works very well if there is a decent content of Si in the water. I have been up in levels of Si over 20 ppm in an established aquaria - no problem with diatoms. The problem with diatoms is - IMO - most seen i newly started aquaria and in ULS aquariums. The diatom is very good into utilize very low levels of phosphorous and in those cases they will outcompete normal green algae for space.

Sincerely Lasse

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we know, silica is negatively charged in a PH between 3 and 8 and is attracted by anion hydroxide resins, either in a mixed bed or a Anion bed. When nearing depletion, the resin starts to release Si back into the water.

huh you speak a english?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is likely unnecessary unless you have a severe diatom problem, but it will work. GFO does bind silicate.

DSC_0132.JPG

Diatom problem, check!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's diatoms and not cyano, then it seems an OK plan. You might be able to just dump it loose in the bottom of an RO/DI storage container with gentle stirring.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you give it a whirl I would just plumb the GFO canister in with a bypass. That way once diatoms resolve if you don’t want it running you have that option. The put it back online if needed in the futures. Or if I just made it unnecessarily too complicated you can just pull you cartridge of GFO out and let clean water run through that canister. Think I just realized my entire post was a waste as I went full circle. As I am awful at typing in a iPhone I am keep it just for the effort alone!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirm diatoms with a microscope ? - I would treat that type as one form of Cyano/dino - just based on the picture.

sincerely Lasse

Yes confirmed.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must take your words that you have confirmed diatoms but it can very hard to differ between diatoms and dinoflagellates - look at this picture

1587242907056.png

Whats your Si content in the aquarium - have you done a ICP test? Do you have an ULS system (ultra low phosphates) ?

Sincerely Lasse

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back