GFO - hope fast should phosphate drop?

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dealing with GHA for a very long time. Even after vibrant and a lot of manual removal my phosphates continued to be high and it was suggested to me that I try GFO.

I have a 32gal fluval flex tank (all in one) with a tunze 9001 skimmer in the center chamber, a UV sterilizer on one side, and an inTank media basket on the other side.

I put 4 tablespoons of GFO in a media bag on one chamber of the inTank media basket. (Directions said 1 tablespoon for every 4 gallons but I was really afraid of over doing it).

My phosphates went from 0.23ppm before the GFO yesterday down to 0.11ppm today. Is that too large a drop in one day? Corals all look fine but I know sometimes by the time they look bad it's already too late.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dealing with GHA for a very long time. Even after vibrant and a lot of manual removal my phosphates continued to be high and it was suggested to me that I try GFO.

I have a 32gal fluval flex tank (all in one) with a tunze 9001 skimmer in the center chamber, a UV sterilizer on one side, and an inTank media basket on the other side.

I put 4 tablespoons of GFO in a media bag on one chamber of the inTank media basket. (Directions said 1 tablespoon for every 4 gallons but I was really afraid of over doing it).

My phosphates went from 0.23ppm before the GFO yesterday down to 0.11ppm today. Is that too large a drop in one day? Corals all look fine but I know sometimes by the time they look bad it's already too late.
That drop is not too large.

Have you tried snails or some other algae eating creature?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That drop is not too large.

Have you tried snails or some other algae eating creature?
Snails, crabs, algae blenny, urchin...

Taken the rocks out one by one and scrubbed them in peroxide, dosed vibrant, lowered my lighting schedule, reduced feedings, started doing a 50% water change once a week, manual removed as much as possible every water change..... also tried fluconazole thinking maybe what I have is bryopsis....

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails, crabs, algae blenny, urchin...

Taken the rocks out one by one and scrubbed them in peroxide, dosed vibrant, lowered my lighting schedule, reduced feedings, started doing a 50% water change once a week, manual removed as much as possible every water change..... also tried fluconazole thinking maybe what I have is bryopsis....
Your algae eaters are not keeping up?

How is the coralline growth in your system?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae eaters are not keeping up?

How is the coralline growth in your system?
None of my algae eaters seem interested in the hair algae, but they do help with other kinds. Sadly my algae blenny does of starvation, even with me feeding him nori and spirulina flakes ... he would eat, he just still got skinnier and skinnier, so I've been scared to try another one. I tried a few emerald crabs but they stated eating my coral instead of the algae.

Tank is about a year and a half old, maybe almost 2 years now. I have spots of coralline on the back wall and on my frag racks, but only a few on my rocks themselves

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think those phosphate levels are high. Continue the gfo.
Emerald crabs can help, but once algae is gone they might bother corals.
Dosing h202 works for me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back