GFO Leaked into tank

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2013
Messages
949
Reaction score
638
Location
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use both sponges above and below the GFO in my Innovative Marine Mid-Size Reactor. It is apparently too fine to use only 1 sponge above and below.

This has caused GFO granules to leak into the sump. The skimmer is pulling off more yellow stuff which is clearly the FO. I'm not sure how much proteins are being pulled out though.

What concerns me is not only the GFO in the tank but also that nitrates and phosphates have both spiked. Nitrates are at 8ppm and phosphates went to .16ppm according to the Red Sea Pro Kit.

I did a 5g water change one day early ... I've been doing a 5g change every 5 days.

Any input would be helpful to this new guy.
 
I would use a felt filter sock to try to catch the bigger particles, do more water changes, and run carbon until the water clears up
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new