GFO Options?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a BRS dual reactor that I run carbon and BRS GFO.
The GFO is so finely ground that it completely cakes my sponges and it wastes product during rising before installing in the reactor.
Are there other options for GFO that are not sand like particles? I dont really want to use a liquid remover because of horror stories ive heard.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a BRS dual reactor that I run carbon and BRS GFO.
The GFO is so finely ground that it completely cakes my sponges and it wastes product during rising before installing in the reactor.
Are there other options for GFO that are not sand like particles? I dont really want to use a liquid remover because of horror stories ive heard.
I place my GFO in a small fine micron bag and rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear (do not rub it together in your hands just let the water flow through it gently) Then its ready for the reactor. I leave it in the bag and sandwich it between the sponges if using it alone or throw it on top of the carbon and place the final sponge.

The sponges should really only be catching detritus, not be clogged with the GFO media.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a link to the bags.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my GFO in a small fine micron bag and rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear (do not rub it together in your hands just let the water flow through it gently) Then its ready for the reactor. I leave it in the bag and sandwich it between the sponges if using it alone or throw it on top of the carbon and place the final sponge.

The sponges should really only be catching detritus, not be clogged with the GFO media.

Yup I had issues with BRS GFO as well for a bit...

I switched to the Avast reactor and had better luck.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse the media quite a bit but it still clogs my sponges really bad. They turn into little brown pucks.
I place the bottom sponge then the GFO and then leave the upper sponge as high as I can so it can tumble.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back